Getty Images

White Teen Who Lied About Being Raped And Kidnapped By Three Black Men Will Likely Avoid Prison

Reportedly, Breanna Harmon was charged with three felonies and faced up to 30 years in prison, but instead will likely receive probation.

Last year, Breana Harmon walked into a North Texas church bruised and confused and told officers she'd been kidnapped and raped by three black men wearing ski masks. The accusations led police on a wild manhunt to find the men responsible for the crime.

However, after a few days of questioning black men in the area, noting Harmon's bruises were not consistent with the crime she alleged that had been committed, and a nurse not finding any physical evidence to match a sexual attack, Harmon eventually confessed she'd made the whole thing up.

According to reports, A Grayson County grand jury indicted the 19-year-old on four charges including three felonies. Harmon was originally arrested in March 2017 for a false report to a peace officer, but after examining the circumstances further, realized more serious penalties were warranted.

Harmon faced up to 30 years in prison because of the charges leveled against her, but will likely avoid any jail time. Harmon's lawyer Bob Jarvis said his client is deeply sorry, and will request she either be placed on probation or a or deferred-adjudication probation. In Texas, a deferred adjudication means Harmon will enter a guilty plea and upon a successful completion of certain time period, will result in the case being dismissed.

On March 8, 2017, Harmon ran into the church wearing ripped jeans and told officers of her alleged rape and kidnapping. However, Harmon later recanted and said she and her fiance got into a fight and the wounds she had were self-inflicted. Scared her mother would be upset that she ripped her own jeans, Harmon instead lied and said she was kidnapped and raped by three black men.

When asked why Harmon would make up the story, Jarvis said his client responded "without thinking.” Harmon will be sentenced March 20.

From the Web

More on Vibe


Louisville International Airport To Be Renamed After Muhammad Ali

Louisville, Kentucky's hometown hero will have an airport named after him.

Mayor Greg Fischer announced Wednesday (Jan. 16) that the Louisville International Airport will be renamed after Muhammad Ali.

"Muhammad Ali belonged to the world, but he only had one hometown, and fortunately, that is our great city of Louisville," Fischer said.

"Muhammad became one of the most well-known people to ever walk the earth and has left a legacy of humanitarianism and athleticism that has inspired billions of people."

The city is hoping to finalize the renaming of the Louisville International Airport to the Louisville Muhammad Ali International Airport by June. The news was shared a day before the two year anniversary of Ali's 2016 death. Ali would've been 77.

Officials with the Louisville airport are currently working on receiving approval from Ali's family, however, they say an agreement is near. The decision for the rename to hopefully increase tourism.

"It is important that we, as a city, further champion The Champ's legacy," the mayor added. "And the airport renaming is a wonderful next step."

Continue Reading

Family Of Murdered Florida Woman Awarded $500 Million In Civil Suit

Eighteen years after the death of Kalil McCoy, her surviving family has been awarded $500 million in damages.

In 2001, McCoy, 20, was shot in the head by Frederick Lee Wade, 19, after an argument over opening a window inside a vehicle. According to reports, Wade and two other men in the car at the time discarded McCoy's body and concocted a story about what happened. Her body was found two days later.

Lynette Roebuck, McCoy's mother blamed Wade for her daughter's death. He was originally sentenced to life in prison, but after winning a retrial, is now serving a reduced 45-year-prison sentence.

"Wade will still have a little bit of life left. But this will always be over your head. If you get a dime, it is not going to be your dime. It will be Kalil's dime," Roebuck said.

"He still gets an opportunity to get out of prison and live. He could be 70 on a cane walking around to a park or movies. But my daughter can't do any of that. This will make a statement and let people know,"

The other men involved, Kennard Deshun Mahone and Jonathon Marichal Brooks, served one year in county jail with 12 years probation. They were also named in the civil suit.

Despite the ruling, it's unlikely all three men will pay the sum in total. Wade has constantly said McCoy's death was an accident, claiming the gun went off accidentally.

Continue Reading
Alex Wong

Government Shutdown Prompts Hunger Strike Inside Manhattan Jail

As the country enters its 26th day since the partial government shutdown, some inmates inside a Manhattan detention center have decided to partake in a hunger strike after family visits were canceled for the second week due to a lack of staffing.

According to the New York Times, inmates at the Metropolitan Correctional Center, or M.C.C have denied their breakfast and lunch meals. The facility, which holds about 800, is one of the most important in the federal prison system and has housed few infamous names including Mexican drug leader El Chapo and terrorists.

Federal public defender Sarah Baumgartel said she learned of the hunger strike from a detainee she represents. Baumgartel declined to identify the inmate out of fear he'd be singled out. "They have already refused a meal — I believe they refused breakfast and lunch.”

Along with canceled family visits, the dispensing of medication to inmates in need has also been affected. The New York Times reports a prosecutor inside a federal court was "informed" that because of the shutdown, there are issues with prescribing medication.”

On Monday (Jan. 16) Bureau of Prisons lawyer Adam Johnson emailed  defense lawyers stating “due to staff shortages,” attorneys would not be able to speak with their clients at Brooklyn’s Metropolitan Detention Center. "We regret the inconvenience and will notify you immediately once visiting resumes.”

The partial government shutdown is a stand off between Donald Trump's demands for funding to construct a wall along the U.S- Mexican border and a newly elected Democratic Congress refusing to acquiesce.

Since then, more than 800,000 employees have gone without pay.



Continue Reading

Top Stories