Andrea Kelly Believed She Was Going To Die During Tumultuous Marriage To R. Kelly

"He’s gonna drive off with my body in the back seat, and nobody’s gonna know.”

With October labeled as Domestic Violence Awareness Month, Andrea Kelly has decided to retell disturbing aspects of her marriage to singer R. Kelly.

Speaking to the hosts of The View Thursday (Oct. 4), Kelly explained why she decided to speak publically about her 13-year marriage to the artist. In June, Kelly appeared on Sister Circle after BuzzFeed's investigative report about the singer's alleged sex cult went viral. Looking back, Kelly said the young women speaking out encouraged her to the same.

"..some of the things she had described in detail, I had been through — I mean, verbatim,” she said. “And it was just something about that pierced my spirit, that I was like, ‘If no one else is going to speak up for her, if no one else is going to believe her, at least she knows that I do.'"

READ MORE: Throw The Whole Man Away: Why The Black Community Must Stop Supporting R. Kelly

In addition to the years of abuse she endured, Kelly said she now has PTSD over an incident that occurred in the back of a Hummer. Fighting tears, Kelly described how she was nearly suffocated by the singer when he reportedly assaulted her. After an argument, the singer reportedly threw Andrea to the back of the car and twisted her arm around her back while dropping his body weight on top of her.

"I just remember sitting in the back of the Hummer and it got blue,” she said. “And I just thought, oh my God, I’m gonna die in the back of this Hummer. And he’s gonna drive off with my body in the back seat, and nobody’s gonna know.”

The second instance she described was the moment she was essentially hogtied by Kelly with the belt to his robe.“Me being a dancer, I’m like, ‘If I keep moving my legs, it’s eventually gonna make this loose. And if I can get my legs loose, I can get my arms loose,’” she said. “I finally did and got away.”

Despite the abuse, Kelly didn't file for divorce until 2009. She did, however, file a restraining order against him in 2005. Her family was aware of the abuse but it wasn't until a comment from her daughter encouraged her to leave the dangerous marriage. “We were looking at pictures, and the long and short of it is, he was being belligerent with me,” Andrea said. “And my daughter goes, ‘Daddy, why are you being mean to my mom? Why are you talking to her that way?’ And it was like a light went off for me because I knew at that moment if you stay, and she ends up with a man like him, and you tell her to leave, she’s gonna say, ‘But why would I? You stayed with my dad all those years.’ So I knew I had to be a living example for my daughter.”

The actress-choreographer believed her speaking up about her haunting past would encourage others to do the same. Instead, she's been shamed and mocked for her case. It hasn't stopped Kelly from speaking up. The mother of three still plans to share her story and help other survivors of domestic abuse. The singer has yet to comment on his ex-wife's comments.

Sadly, R. Kelly is still in high demand. He's expected to perform in Houston November 3. His Facebook page is also filled with thirsty disturbingly passionate messages and words of prayer from fans.

READ MORE: Andrea Kelly Contemplated Suicide After Domestic Dispute With R. Kelly

From the Web

More on Vibe

Rapper Bobby Shmurda poses backstage at Power 105.1's Powerhouse 2014 at Barclays Center of Brooklyn on October 30, 2014 in New York City.
Photo by Brad Barket/Getty Images for Power 105.1

Bobby Shmurda Returns Home After Serving 6 Years In Prison

After serving 6 years, Bobby Shmurda is finally out. The rapper, born Ackquille Pollard, was granted a conditional release from the New York state prison, Clinton Correctional Facility, on Tuesday morning (Feb. 23) and will serve the remainder of his 7-year sentence on parole. According to reports, Shmurda “will be under community supervision in Kings County until he completes his sentence on February 23, 2026.”

In true celebrity fashion, Shmurda was brought home in a private jet this morning. Earlier this week, Migos' Quavo told Billboard that he would do the honor of picking him up upon Bobby's release. "I'm going to get my guy. I'm personally gonna go pick up Bobby Shmurda. I'm bout to go get him. I'm gonna let him show you how I'm gonna pick him up, yessir. It's gonna be big."

And that he did.

 

View this post on Instagram

 

A post shared by QuavoHuncho (@quavohuncho)

In December 2014, Shmurda was arrested at New York City's Quad Studios and was charged with conspiracy to murder, criminal possession of a weapon, criminally using drug paraphernalia, and reckless endangerment follow a two-year probe by the New York Police Department. In 2016, the former Epic Records signee and his childhood friend Rowdy Rebel accepted a plea deal and were sentenced to 7 years in prison.

“They kind of did it dirty at the end of the day,” Bobby explained in a phone interview with VIBE back in 2016. “They had offered me five (years) but then they said if I take the seven, then I’ll be taking it so that they could give Rowdy seven because they were going to offer him 12. I didn’t want my bro to do 12 years because at the end of the day, we didn’t really do nothing, but they playing dirty. So I’m going to take one for the bro.”

Now that Bobby is out, he'll be spending time with family and friends and getting his head back into creating new music. Watch his FaceTime call with his mother, Leslie, down below.

Welcome back, Bobby.

Bobby Shmurda on facetime with his mom after being released from prison pic.twitter.com/YvdaBzo1Y4

— Bobby Shmurda Updates (@bodboybobby) February 23, 2021

Continue Reading
Fred The Godson attends the Rhymes Over Beats Hip Hop Launch at The Griffin on March 31, 2014 in New York City.
Photo by Johnny Nunez/WireImage

Fat Joe, Jim Jones and Bronx Community Celebrate Fred The Godson's Street Naming On His Birthday

Today (Feb. 22), the great MC, Fred The Godson, was honored posthumously with a street naming by his Bronx community and hip-hop industry comrades. Among the dozens of those that showed love to the rapper that passed away in April 2020 due to COVID-19 were BX native Fat Joe and Harlem repper Jim Jones. The street's South Bronx location of Leggett avenue and Kelly street will now also be called Fredrick "Fred The Godson" Thomas Way.

While snow fell heavily, the crowd of supporters and the organizers stood strong and watched as the sign was unveiled to cheers of joy. The Fred The Godson Foundation worked hard to make this day happen on what would have been Fred's 36th birthday. "Shortly after Fred’s passing, the Fred The Godson Foundation was created to carry on his legacy for his children and family, and the commitment to his dreams for the Bronx," says the foundation's mission statement. "The mission is to inspire, empower and nourish individuals, children and families in underserved communities, starting with Fred’s birthplace. The foundation will foster community unity through the common pursuit of wellness, prosperity, and opportunity."

 

View this post on Instagram

 

A post shared by FAT JOE (@fatjoe)

Known for having one of the most celebrated flows that included a barrage of double entendres and metaphors that were rarely matched, Fred was a respected MC with enormous skills that were able to get him featured on the famed 2011 XXL 'Freshman' class magazine cover along with Meek Mill, Mac Miller (RIP) and Kendrick Lamar. Jim Jones had some heartfelt words for the one named 'Gordo' at the ceremony, "Fred inspired me to do this music, a lot all over again. There was a time I really didn't want to do no music...and Fred would say, 'Nah, you gotta get in that booth Capo.'"

 

View this post on Instagram

 

A post shared by Chanel Rae -TheCulturePrincess (@pqchanel)

The Thomas family announced thank you's and love to Councilmember Rafael Salamanca Jr. of District 17 in the South Bronx, Bronx Borough President Ruban Diaz, NYPD's 41st Precinct, and the Bronx community for helping make the Frederick “Fred the Godson” Thomas Way street co-naming possible.

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by jimjonescapo (@jimjonescapo)

Much respect to the legacy of the husband and father, Fred The Godson.

 

View this post on Instagram

 

A post shared by Fred The Godson Aka Gordo (@fredthegodsonmusic)

Continue Reading
Jay-Z attends 2020 Roc Nation THE BRUNCH on January 25, 2020 in Los Angeles, California.
Kevin Mazur/Getty Images for Roc Nation

Jay-Z Sells Half Stake Of 'Ace Of Spades' To Moët Hennessy In New Partnership

Jay-Z's Armand de Brignac aka Ace of Spaces has sold 50% of its stake in an acquisition by Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton (LVMH). On Monday morning (Feb. 22), The two leading luxury spirits brands announced their new alliance which includes a global distribution agreement.

“I’m proud to welcome the Arnault family into ours through this partnership that began with Alexandre Arnault and continued with his father Bernard Arnault and Philippe Schaus, at my home in Los Angeles," said Carter in a press release. "It is a partnership that has felt familiar the entire time. We are confident that the sheer power of the Moët Hennessy global distribution framework, its unparalleled portfolio strength and its long-established track record of excellence in developing luxury brands will give Armand de Brignac the commercial power it needs to grow and flourish even further.”

Moët Hennessy's president and CEO, Philippe Schaus shared how his company has been a long-admirer of Armand de Brignac's success in the champagne and wine categories.

“Often referred to as 'Ace of Spades,' Armand de Brignac breaks barriers and reflects contemporary luxury, while preserving the traditions of the Champagne terroirs. Today, we are incredibly proud to be partnering with them and believe that the combination of our Champagne experience and international network coupled with Shawn 'JAY-Z' Carter’s vision, the strength of the Armand de Brignac brand and quality of its range of prestige cuvées will allow us to take the business to new heights across the world.”

Watch Jay-Z's sitdown interview with CNBC's Squawk Box (which aired shortly after the published announcement) where he talks about how the deal came to fruition and his growth since entering the wine and spirits space after boycotting the champagne line, Cristal back in 2006.

Continue Reading

Top Stories