Maxine-Waters-MAGA-Bomber
Getty Images

Maxine Waters Among Democrats Targeted By Unknown Bomber

Rep. Waters hasn't commented on what many are now calling the "Maga Bomber."

UPDATE: 3:35 P.M. ET (October 24, 2018) - In a statement to VIBE, Rep. Maxine Waters has condemned the suspected act of terror.

“I have been informed by U.S. Capitol Police that my Washington, DC office was the target of a suspicious package that has been referred to the FBI. I am appreciative of the law enforcement entities who intercepted the package and are investigating this matter. I unequivocally condemn any and all acts of violence and terror.”

__

The list of suspected pipe bombs targeted at key Democrats now includes Rep. Maxine Waters (D-Ca.).

According to The Hill, the suspicious package did not make it to her home and was intercepted at a mail facility in Maryland Wednesday (Oct. 24). The news comes hours after the Secret Service confirmed that "potential explosive devices" were sent to the homes of former presidents Barack Obama and Bill Clinton as well as former Attorney General Eric Holder and Florida Congresswoman Wasserman Schultz.

Because the list of targets includes those who have been the most outspoken about the Trump administration, the hashtag #MAGABomber has been attached to the suspect(s).

NBC News reports the first explosive was discovered in the mailbox of Jewish philanthropist and billionaire George George Soros' home in Bedford, New York. There were also reports of another potentially dangerous package was sent to the office of Senator Kamala Harris, a California Democrat, but it turned out to be a  false alarm.

READ MORE: Suspicious Packages Sent To Clintons, Obamas

After it was confirmed that CNN's New York office was also targeted, New York Mayor Bill de Blasio called the incident an act of terror.

"What we saw here today was an effort to terrorize," de Blasio said. "This was clearly an act of terror."

Speaking at a previously scheduled private donor event for Donna Shalala Wednesday, former presidential candidate Hillary Clinton spoke out against the suspected bomber. "It is a troubling time," she said. "And it's a time of deep divisions and we have to do everything we can to bring out country together. We also have to elect candidates who will try to do the same."

<style>

Trump and First Lady Melania Trump condemned the packages and any effort of violence.

"The full weight of our government is being deployed to conduct this investigation and bring those responsible for these despicable acts to justice," he said at the White House. "We will spare no resources or expense in this effort. In these times, we have to unify. We have to come together, and send one clear, strong unmistakable message that acts or threats of political violence of any kind have no place in the United States of America."

READ MORE: Laverne Cox, Amiyah Scott And More Speak Out Against Trump’s Anti-Transgender Proposal

From the Web

More on Vibe

Getty Images

Cardi B Will Reportedly Have Her Own Las Vegas Residency

Cardi B is reportedly getting her first Las Vegas residency. According to The Associated Press, the “Money” rapper will have a residency at the Palms Casino Resort in anticipation of the debut of its newest complex, KAOS.

“Above and Beyond, G-EAZY, Kaskade and Skrillex are among the other artists who will have exclusive residencies at the complex,” the report reads. KAOS will reportedly open in April. “KAOS is part of the Palms’ $690 million renovation that features state-of-the-art technology designed to enhance performances including a rotating 360-degree DJ booth.”

This news comes just a week after the announcement of Drake’s reported residency at the XS Nightclub at Wynn Las Vegas. The musical reportedly “inked a 12-show deal over the next two years."

Cardi B has shown no signs of slowing down. She is currently nominated for five Grammy awards, and she is set to perform at the Bonnaroo Music Festival. She also made headlines recently for her thoughts about the current partial government shutdown, clapping back at detractors like Tomi Lahren.

"You’re so blinded with racism that you don’t even realize the decisions the president you root for is destroying the country you claim to love so much," she wrote on Twitter with a statement aimed at the political pundit.

Continue Reading
Scott Olson

Illinois Man Awarded $1.25 Million After Cops Tackled Him For Stealing His Own Car

A former Northwestern University doctoral student was awarded $1.25 million after police tackled the then 25-year old assuming he was trying to steal a car that was actually his own.

The Associated Press reports Evanston City Manager Wally Bobkiewicz confirmed the settlement amount had been reached Wednesday. (Jan. 23) Crosby was an engineering major in 2015 when the incident occurred.

Crosby’s attorney Timothy Touhy said his client was attempting to repair something with his car when a white woman watching called local police to report what she thought was a robbery.

The unidentified woman then followed Crosby in his car as he left his apartment and headed to a science building on Northwestern's campus, giving police his location.

Crosby reportedly exited his vehicle with his hands up but was immediately tackled by law enforcement when he didn't obey orders to get on the ground. Cops later determined Crosby was the owner of the vehicle but charged him with resisting arrest.

A spokesman for the Evanston police said the use of force was justified at the time because officers assumed a theft was in progress. Crosby was the victim of knee strikes and open-handed strikes.

A judge threw out the charges.

“It’s his hope that as a result of this case, that all of us begin a discussion on implicit bias and begin to recognize it and begin to discuss it between yourselves and your friends,” said Steven Yonover, who represented Crosby in the case.

Continue Reading
GoFundMe

10 Year Old Commits Suicide After Being Bullied For Colostomy Bag

A 10-year-old Kentucky boy committed suicide after being bullied incessantly by classmates, who reportedly picked on for using a colostomy bag.

Seven Bridges' mother found him dead in the closet on Saturday (Jan. 19). Tami Charles was reportedly out grocery shopping, and the boy's father Donnie was at a church choir practice. Charles called Seven, her only child, a miracle baby, as she was told that she wouldn't be able to have children.

"Seven had a tough start. He was born with a condition that required a colostomy bag. Even after several surgeries, he would still have problems with leaks. Charles said it became a reason for kids to make fun of him," reports WHAS11 in Kentucky. According to Charles, her son underwent 26 surgeries from the time he was born.

"WHAS11 talked to Charles and Seven in September after an alleged bullying incident on his bus ride home from Kerrick Elementary School," the site continues. This is unfortunately not the first time bullying has severely affected Seven and his family. "He said he was called the N-word by a student. His friend told him to beat-up that student, and when Seven refused, he said the bus buddy started choking him." This incident was detailed on Tami's Facebook page.

Seven, who was planning on going to another school to start sixth grade, was told by his mother than the bullying would end when he changed schools.

“The balls that were dropped,” Tami said of the flawed system that couldn't protect bullying victims at the school. “It wasn't that [Jefferson County Public Schools] didn't have these tools, they just weren't at our school. It wasn't that they didn't have these tools to help the victims of bullying, they just weren't there, they weren't used."

Due to the manner of the boy's death, insurance will not cover the costs of his funeral. If you'd like to help the family, please click here.

Continue Reading

Top Stories