Tarana-Burke-Me-Too
Getty Images

#MeToo Movement Inspires Man To Confess To Witnessing A Rape In 1969

The man pens his confession in a recently published essay for The Washington Post.

Earlier this month, 67-year-old Don Palmerine came forward about a rape he witnessed and participated in 1969, almost five decades prior. His reason for coming forward decades later is rooted in the #MeToo movement.

In a penned essay for The Washington PostPalmerine recalls the fuzzy night, admitting that though he fails to remember the trivial details of the night, he does remember the distinct "before and after" of the disturbing event.

On Sunday (Oct. 21), Palmerine spoke to Michel Martin of NPR's "All Things Considered," to speak further on his decision to come forward. Published soon after the heartbreaking testimony of Dr. Christine Blasey Ford in the Brett Kavanaugh hearings, Palmerine confirms that Ford was the motivation for the piece, finding resolution in her "genuine" testimony. Not only did he feel that Ford "was really telling the truth," but he was also able to relate to Ford, having also experienced trivial gaps in his memory from the dark night.

Having attended an all-boys uppity Catholic high school in Pittsburg, Pennsylvania, an invitation to attend the party was extended to Palmerine by a football player from a nearby all-boys Catholic school. In an attempt to impress the jocks, Palmerine accepted the invitation only to find that "there were far more boys than girls at this party" and that "other than the girls," no one was drinking.

"At one point, a boy told several of us to go outside and look through a window into the basement because another boy, a football player, had taken a girl there. When we peered through, we saw the girl passed out on a sofa, her feet facing us. As the boy approached her, he waved to us, smiling. He proceeded to remove her jeans and then her underwear. It was the first time I had seen a girl naked. He climbed on top of her and penetrated her. She immediately woke up and tried to fight him off. At this point, we all scattered in the yard. No one said anything. There was just nervous laughter."

Unfortunately, this was only the first incident of the night.

Going on to detail the disturbing moments of a later occurrence, Palmerine also confesses to participating in a "game" in which he and a group of boys would place their hands on a passed-out, drunken girl when the lights were off in an upstairs bedroom, but would remove them immediately when the lights flickered back on. "This happened four times, and then we all left the room. I’m glad it didn’t go further" he writes.

In holding onto the guilt for numerous decades, the guilt transitioned to a shame so strong that Palmerine was finally driven to resolve his wrongdoings in the way the girls never got the chance to.

"In 1969, there was nobody to turn to," he writes in a proper acknowledgment. "They [the girls] certainly wouldn’t have gone to the police — at the time, a subtle notion persisted that an assault was always the girl’s fault, that she shouldn’t have gotten herself into that position in the first place. They wouldn’t have told their parents, who would probably have scolded them. They are about my age now, 67, and I wonder if they had families. If they remember this night. If they told their daughters."

Having finally assumed the responsibility for his actions, Palmerine tells this story with a strong hope that men will begin "to tell the truth about the ways they’ve abused women and what our role has been in creating a culture that tolerates this."

READ MORE: Indiana Woman Admits To Letting Boyfriend Sexually Abuse Her 10-Year-Old Daughter

Ultimately, Palmerine believes that men should be apart of the #MeToo movement and begin come forward and talk about what they've seen and done in order to motivate others to become true heroes to women.

"The only thing I could say is I'm sorry I didn't help" regrets Palmerine. "A few women had called me a hero, but, no, I wasn't. I would've been a hero if I had helped these women then, but I didn't do it."

Founded by Tarana Burke, the #MeToo movement has taken several turns while building layers around what it means in the music industry as well as other victims outside of the entertainment business.

Reactions have been mixed for his essay. While some believe he is an ally in the movement, others feel he should face consequences for participating in the second assault.

See reactions below.

READ MORE: A Long Road Ahead: #MeToo Founder Tarana Burke On Sexual Assault, Stigmas And Society

From the Web

More on Vibe

Spencer Weiner-Pool

South Carolina Baby Dies In Burning Car After Father Abandons Car In Police Chase

A South Carolina man has been charged with homicide by child abuse after police say he fled his vehicle that burst into flames killing his year old daughter.

Wearing an orange jumpsuit, Imhotep Osiris Norman reportedly broke down in tears during his bond hearing Saturday. (April 13)

According to law enforcement at about 10:20 PM Friday, a state trooper with the South Carolina Highway Patrol attempted to pull Norman over on Highway 14 near the Greenville-Spartanburg International Airport.

Norman was doing 67 mph in a 45-mph zone.

When the car didn't stop. Seventh Circuit Solicitor Barry Barnette said Norman's vehicle began to spark and smoke during the pursuit.

As the car approached the 58-mile marker on Interstate 85, troopers say they saw a large bag be thrown from the window. A few minutes later, the car was totally engulfed in flames. The car reportedly slowed down and troopers attempted to block the road before Norman escaped.

After the fire extinguished investigators found Norman's 1-year-old daughter, Xena Rah’Lah Norman dead in the backseat.

In court, Norman alleges he didn't know the car was on fire.  “I would never leave my daughter,” Norman said. “I would have gotten my daughter out of that car.”

Norman's mother Sharon Mathesis said she doesn't believe the cops version of events. “My son loved his daughter and would have never let this happen,” Mathis said. “He loved her so much. He loved her so much.”

If convicted, Norman faces 20 years in prison.

Continue Reading
FLINT, MI - FEBRUARY 7: The Flint River with downtown behind is shown on February 7, 2016 in Flint, Michigan. Months ago the city told citizens they could use tap water if they boiled it first, but now say it must be filtered to remove lead. (Photo by Sarah Rice/Getty Images)
Getty Images

Flint Receives Remaining $77.7 Million Of Federal Funds To Improve Water Infrastructure

As the city of Flint, Mich. marks the five-year anniversary of the Flint Water Crisis, the city is set to receive $77.7 million in federal funding.

The Michigan Department of Environmental Quality announced the funding Monday (April 15),  as part of a $140 million loan to be allocated to Flint, East Lansing and Monroe County.  The funds for Flint are the remaining portion of a $120 million loan granted to the city in 2017, Mlive reports.

“While we are grateful for this funding it’s important to understand it's not new funding,” said Flint’s Director of Public Works Rob Bincsik. “The federal government awarded this funding and is utilizing the MDEQ’s Drinking Water Revolving Fund as the mechanism to disperse it to the City of Flint.”

Flint won’t have to pay back the funding as the loan is being offered at a “zero percent interest rate with 100-percent principal loan forgiveness.” The funds, which are aimed at improving infrastructure needs and ensuring long-term water quality,” will cover “the completion of a secondary water source pipeline,” in addition to improvements of reservoir and pump stations, construction of a chemical feed building, and replacement of water mains and meters.

East Lansing will receive a $51.7 million loan that includes $2.1 million in “principal forgiveness funds” for collection system improvements, a new pump station, and upgrades to the Water Resource Recovery Facility. Monroe County will get $10.2 million to upgrade and repair the Bedford Township Wastewater Treatment Plant. The funds will also support rehabbing lineal sewer pipes.

Continue Reading
Spartanburg County Detention Center via AP

Man Sentenced To 10 Years For Hiring Someone To Lynch His Black Neighbor

A white South Carolina man has been sentenced to 10 years inside a federal prison for hiring someone to lynch his black neighbor and place a burning cross on the lawn.

According to the New York Times, Brandon Cory Lecroy, 26 (pictured above) was arrested last year after the FBI received a tip about his plans. Lecroy reportedly contacted an unidentified white supremacist organization to assist with the murder-for-hire but instead was approached by an undercover FBI agent posing as a hitman.

The agent reportedly told Lecroy over the phone "$500 and he's a ghost." According to an arrest warrant affidavit, Lecroy made a down payment of $100 and was then taken into custody.

The South Carolina United States attorney's office said Lecroy received the maximum sentence on Friday (April 12) after pleading guilty, as well as three years supervision.

In March 2018, Lecroy went as far as texting an image of the intended targets to the FBI agent and offering the best possible times for the murder. His motive for the murder was to control his neighbor's property. Lecroy also suggested the agent use an  “a ghost gun,”  or an untraceable 9mm.

The names of the intended victim or the FBI agent have not been released.

Continue Reading

Top Stories