Crime Scene Investigation unit and police-tape
Getty Images

Shooting At Kentucky Grocery Store Investigated As Possible Hate Crime

A white gunman murdered two black customers at a Kroger store near Louisville. 

The murder of two black customers a Kentucky grocery store is being investigated as a possible hate crime, the United States Attorney's Office in the Western District of Kentucky announced Friday (Oct. 26), according to NBC News.

U.S. Attorney Russell M. Coleman of Louisville said in a statement that the government is not taking the murders “lightly.” FBI investigators are working with local authorities to determine if suspect, Gregory Alan Bush, will be tried on civil rights violations, in addition to murder charges.

Coleman's announcement came a day after Jeffersontown Police Chief Sam Rogers said that there was no known motive for the shooting, but that authorities were "pursuing all avenues of the investigation no matter where that takes us or what it involves."

According to a police report, Bush walked into Kroger near Louisville Wednesday (Oct. 24) afternoon and shot 69-year-old Maurice Stallard in the back of the head. Bush continued firing after the victim fell to the floor. Stallard, whose daughter is Louisville's Chief Racial Equity Officer, was at the store with his grandson picking up supplies for a school project.

Vickie Lee Jones, a 67-year-old retiree, died from multiple gunshot wounds after being gunned down in the store's parking lot.

A witness who encountered Bush after the shooting said that he told him, “ I won't shoot you. Whites don't shoot whites.” Bush also attempted to enter into a black church before he settled on the grocery store.

Bush was arraigned Friday, on two counts of murder and 10 counts of felony wanton endangerment (putting another person at risk for death or serious injury). He is being held on $5 million bond.

READ MORE: Waffle House Gunman Held On $2M Bond, Refuses To Explain Shooting Motive

From the Web

More on Vibe

Courtesy of KSDK

Teacher Arrested For Hiring A Hitman To Kill The Child He Allegedly Molested

A St. Louis teacher accused of molesting a then 7-year-old boy reportedly hired a hitman to kill the child and family.

According to Newsweek, Deonte Taylor worked as a teacher's assistant at Lusher Elementary School in 2015 when he allegedly removed the boy from the class, took him to an empty classroom engaging the child in oral sex. Although the boy's family reported the incident to local authorities at the time, Taylor wasn't arrested.

Between 2015 to 2018, Taylor worked toward his teacher's license and became a fifth-grade teacher at Walnut Grove Elementary school in the Ferguson-Florissant School District, and since he wasn't charged he was able to teach.

"Mr. Taylor went through the same process that all of our teaching candidates go through. Everyone goes through a criminal background check, sexual abuse registry background check and there was nothing that showed up on that," Ferguson-Florissant School District spokesperson Kevin Hampton told KSDK.

In November 2018, however, Taylor was arrested after DNA evidence proved his sample matched the DNA evidence of the victim.

Taylor, 36, faces three charges of statutory-sodomy.

While in jail awaiting trial, Taylor reportedly hired someone to kill the boy, now 10 and his family. He convinced his 66-year-old boyfriend Michael Johnson, to pay the hitman to carry out the fatal deed, which he did. However, the hitman turned an informant and exposed the plan to authorities.

Along with his charges stemming from child molestation, Taylor now faces two counts of conspiracy to commit murder and two counts of attempting to tamper with a victim in a felony prosecution. Johnson faces the same charges.

Both men appeared in a St. Louis court last week and pled not guilty. They're being held in jail without bond.

Continue Reading
Mohammed Elshamy

A NYPD Cop Falsely Arrested A Black Man Lied On The Paperwork, But Still Has His Job

A New York police officer has faced no punishment for falsely arresting a black man and lying on his police report about what a witness statement.

In June 2016, officer Xavier Gonzalez arrested investment adviser Darryl Williams at the 125th Street and Lexington Avenue subway station. Gonzalez alleged Williams, 58 at the time, pickpocketed straphangers on a 4 train.

Gonzalez was undercover at the time and wrote in his report that Anthony Osei, who was also on a northbound 4 train, said Williams stole his phone. However, Osei, a paint shop clerk, told the New York Daily News Gonzalez lied.

When Willaims sued the city and the NYPD over the arrest, Osei, swore in an affidavit, reviewed by The Daily News, he didn't tell officers Williams stole his phone.

“A cop came up to me and said, ‘Did he take your phone?' I said, ‘No, I have my phones and wallet.’ Two weeks later, I get a call from the prosecutor. I told them the same thing."

In court, Osei testified on Williams' behalf stating "I defended him (Williams) because it was the right thing to do.”

Williams worked at the Sanitation Department for nearly two decades when he was arrested. He had private clients and his financial license was suspended for two months. He spent $1,500.

There's a process called “arrest overtime” in which an arrest made toward the end of a cop's shift helps bolster his or her overtime pay. It's a beloved practice that drives up a cop's pension.

“I have no trust in cops anymore,” said Williams, 60, now retired. “He’s putting perfectly innocent people in handcuffs. People who don’t have the resources I have, they could go to jail for something they didn’t do."

Continue Reading
Bill Pugliano/Getty Images

Flint Residents Will Reportedly Have The Ability To Sue Federal Government

On Thursday (April 18), Judge Linda Parker stated Flint, Mich., residents may have the power to sue the federal government over the officials' mishandling of the water supply system. Since 2014, residents have navigated life with non-consumable water that was tainted with lead when the city switched its water source.

The news arrives days after the city was approved to receive over $77 million in funds to assist with a new pipeline, water monitoring systems, and other water-based infrastructure needs. According to CNN, the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan judge's memo stated the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) mislead its residents when it failed to notify them of the lead-filled water.

"The impact on the health of the nearly 100,000 residents of the City of Flint remains untold. It is anticipated, however, the injury caused by the lead-contaminated public water supply system will affect the residents for years and likely generations to come," Parker said. Through campaigns spearheaded by Little Miss Flint and other activists, and initiatives conducted by artist Jaden Smith, the city's residents are steadily receiving assistance in adequate drinking water.

In January, an appeals court stated that federal civil lawsuits against the city of Flint would be permissible, The Hill notes.

Continue Reading

Top Stories