Family Of Hate Crime Victim Demands NYPD To Release Footage Of Stabbing

"The fact that the video isn't out right now, this is completely insane."

The family of the woman stabbed in a reported hate crime attack is calling for authorities to release footage of the harrowing incident.

NBC New York reports Ann Marie Washington was stabbed by an unidentified white man Friday (Nov. 9) and while heading home from work on the subway. As the 57-year-old left the Church Ave. station, a man punched and stabbed her in the chest while calling her a "black bi**h." Washington, who was with her daughter at the time of the attack, is a native of Trinidad.

A sketch has been drawn up to reflect witness' recollections of the man who was described a "clean-cut" white man in his 30s. With the sketch released to the public, Washington's family hopes NYPD will release surveillance footage captured by the subway station in an effort to find the suspect. They also claimed many people were filming the suspect getting away.

"The fact that the video isn't out right now, this is completely insane," Bernard Nau told the site. "This is going to keep happening." Washington is currently being hospitalized for a collapsed lung she sustained in the stabbing. Her daughter told reporters her mother wasn't aware she was stabbed the next day.

It took a few days for the NYPD's Hate Crimes Taskforce to get involved as the authorities have now called the stabbing a hate crime.

"If this was a white resident, a new gentrifier to this neighborhood, there would be swarms of cops here," Imani Henry of Equality for Flatbush said. "But when it is a black person who is attacked by a white racist, there isn't anything."

The family has released a video asking for help. Watch below.

READ MORE: NYPD Releases Sketch Of White Man Who Stabbed A 57-Year-Old Black Woman

From the Web

More on Vibe

Mark Makela

Bill Cosby Receives Backlash For "America's Dad" Father's Day Post

Bill Cosby caused quite the frenzy on social media this past Father's Day (June 16). Although the comedian and actor is currently sitting behind bars, he managed to make a number of people upset with his latest Twitter message.

"Hey, Hey, Hey…It’s America’s Dad," he tweeted. "I know it’s late, but to all of the Dads… It’s an honor to be called a Father, so let’s make today a renewed oath to fulfilling our purpose —strengthening our families and communities. #HappyFathersDay #RenewedOathToOurFamily"

Many Twitter users took issue with Cosby labeling himself, "America's Dad." While he has previously been considered as such due to his pivotal role on The Cosby Show, many felt it was inappropriate due to the countless accusations of rape and sexual assault made by more than 60 women throughout his career. Furthermore, Cosby is currently serving a three to 10-year prison sentence for three counts of aggravated indecent assault.

So, between Cosby's Father's Day post and O.J. Simpson's newly-launched account, it's turning out to be a weird month for Twitter. Check out Cosby's full message and the reactions below.

Hey, Hey, Hey...It’s America’s Dad...I know it’s late, but to all of the Dads... It’s an honor to be called a Father, so let’s make today a renewed oath to fulfilling our purpose —strengthening our families and communities.#HappyFathersDay#RenewedOathToOurFamily pic.twitter.com/6EGrF87t6G

— Bill Cosby (@BillCosby) June 17, 2019

Bill Cosby, disgraced father and husband, still in denial that he got busted. Maybe he and OJ could get a shared account.

— Fif de Florence (@DrFifiRx) June 17, 2019

https://twitter.com/kevonareed/status/1140607803855384576

https://twitter.com/wannahiketheat/status/1140607451722596354

pic.twitter.com/DJD397emHl

— Michael Peters (@peteydallas) June 17, 2019

pic.twitter.com/PWkqBiMZ9p

— Posa (@justposa) June 17, 2019

Continue Reading
Jason Bean-Pool

O.J. Simpson "Gets Even" On New Twitter Account, Denies Kris Jenner Rumors

The Juice is loose... on Twitter that is. O.J. Simpson just made a Twitter account, and according to the former NFL star and accused murderer, he has a lot of "getting even to do."

"Hey Twitter world, this is yours truly. Coming soon to Twitter, you'll get to read all my thoughts and opinions on just about everything," Simpson said his first Twitter video, entitled "Coming Soon!" "You'll get to read my tweets on just about everything. It should be a lot of fun. I've got a little getting even to do."

O.J. elaborated on his statement in a follow-up video, saying, "for years people have been able to say what they want to say about me, with no accountability."  He added: "But now I get to challenge a lot of that B.S. and set the record straight..."

In his first order of business, the Juice decided to comment on those ongoing rumors about an alleged sexual relationship he had with Kris Jenner. O.J. and Jenner were said to have started an affair while the momager was still married to her first husband, Robert Kardashian.

Coming Soon!!! pic.twitter.com/R1tXOuuLgO

— O.J. Simpson (@TheRealOJ32) June 15, 2019

"Never – and I want to stress never – in any way shape or form had I ever had any interest in Kris, romantically, sexually, and I never got any indication that she had any interest in me," Simpson said. "So all of these stories are just bogus. Bad, you know, tasteless."

He also commented on the rumors that he is Khloe Kardashian's biological father. "Khloe, like all the (Kardashian) girls, I’m very proud of, just like I know Bob would be if he was here. But the simple facts of the matter is she’s not mine," he continued.

Simpson blamed the rumors on Norman Pardo, a guy who "the media love to say is my manager." Despite those reports, however, Simpson asserts that he has "always managed my own affairs." "So, when you see these guys like Norm, and these guys claim that they are my manager, it’s just not true."

If this is how O.J. Simpson is starting his new Twitter account, who knows what he'll talk about next.

Thanks to all my new followers. Love learning how to use Twitter. pic.twitter.com/J4JnN59yKl

— O.J. Simpson (@TheRealOJ32) June 16, 2019

The first thing I want to set straight is this story Pardo (who was not my manger) is talking about all over the media regarding me & @KrisJenner pic.twitter.com/tZ9EJd4qxF

— O.J. Simpson (@TheRealOJ32) June 17, 2019

Continue Reading
Gregory Shamus

Tory Lanez Calls Out Colorism On Set Of New Music Video

Tory Lanez is calling out colorism in the music industry after experiencing a tough moment on the set of a new music video he was shooting. The Canadian artist alleged that the directors attempted to swap out a woman with a darker complexion for a model of a lighter skin tone.

The video shoot was apparently for Nafe Smallz's "Good Love" video. In a BTS clip that Lanez shared on Instagram on Sunday (June 17), the rapper appeared to be performing alongside a black woman. During their take, the video crew appeared to motion for another woman – who was noticeably lighter than the current stand-in – to enter the shoot. Lanez then appeared to stop the shoot, saying "she's already here... you look great though."

In his caption, Lanez highlighted the music industry's flaws and the continued problem with colorism. "This is an On-Going problem in our community of entertainment that needs to stop. As a black man, Sometimes I’m going to joke about the black community just like we all do. BUT WHAT IM NOT GOING TO DO IS ALLOW ANY OF THESE DIRECTORS TO DE-VALUE OUR BLACK WOMEN," he wrote. "Countless times I’ve seen directors swap out our women of color for women of lighter complexion, or women with straighter hair ETC. ... IT IS OUR RESPONSIBILITY AS ARTIST TO STAND UP AND NOT LET THIS HAPPEN .. it’s BEEN time to embrace our woman of color."

Despite Lanez's initial account of the situation, DJ Akademiks posted a series of Instagrams that refuted the rapper's claims. "The women who were in the #torylanez video and also the directors are claiming it didn’t go down the way Tory described it on Instagram," he wrote. One of the women also reported that Lanez staged the video to "to make it appear as if it had something to do with race."

It's unclear who is telling the correct version of the story at this time. Lanez has not commented on DJ Akademik's claims. See Lanez's post below.

 

View this post on Instagram

 

This is an On -Going problem in our community of entertainment that needs to stop . As a black man , Sometimes I’m going to joke about the black community just like we all do . BUT WHAT IM NOT GOING TO DO IS ALLOW ANY OF THESE DIRECTORS TO DE-VALUE OUR BLACK WOMEN ... countless times I’ve seen directors swap out our women of color for women of lighter complexion, or women with straighter hair ETC . ... IT IS OUR RESPONSIBILITY AS ARTIST TO STAND UP AND NOT LET THIS HAPPEN .. it’s BEEN time to embrace our woman of color #BlackIsBeautiful

A post shared by torylanez (@torylanez) on Jun 16, 2019 at 7:43am PDT

Continue Reading

Top Stories