Karl Merton Ferron/Baltimore Sun/TNS via Getty Images

Security Guard Killed By Chicago Police After Detaining Gunman, Victim’s Mom Files Lawsuit

Jemel Roberson was killed inside the bar where he was working. 

The mother of a security guard gunned down by Chicago police moments after he detained a gunman, is suing the officer who killed her son. A lawyer for Beatrice Roberson filed a federal lawsuit Monday (Nov. 12) citing unprovoked, unjustified and “excessive and unreasonable” force, TMZ reports.

The victim, Jemel Roberson, was shot to death Sunday (Nov. 11), inside Manny’s Blue Room Bar in Robbins, Ill., where he helped apprehend a group who had been kicked out of the bar for being unruly. The men returned to the location and opened fire, at which point Roberson sprung into action. Roberson's mother is seeking at least $1 million in the lawsuit.

"He had somebody on the ground with his knee in back, with his gun in his back like, 'Don’t move,'" witness Adam Harris recalled, according to Chicago’s WGNTV.

Police responded to the scene at around 4 a.m. Sunday. One of the officers shot and killed Roberson after stepping inside the bar. Roberson had the shooting suspect "on the ground" when police arrived.

"Everybody was screaming out, 'Security!' He was a security guard," Harris continued. "And they still did their job, and saw a black man with a gun, and basically killed him."

The Cook County sheriff’s department charged one man in connection with the shooting that Roberson attempted to thwart. The Illinois State Police Public Integrity Task Force is investigating the officer-involved shooting.

Chief Daniel Delaney, of the Midlothian Police Department, confirmed the shooting stating in part that the officer “encountered a subject with a gun and was involved in an officer-involved shooting.” Roberson was pronounced dead at an area hospital, Delaney said.

Besides working as a bouncer, Roberson was also an organist at Chicago’s New Spiritual Light Baptist Church. The 26-year-old father was also an aspiring police officer and was licensed to carry a firearm.

"How in the world does the security guard get shot by police?" the church's pastor Walter Turner said. "A young man that was literally doing his job and now he's gone."

Roberson’s loved ones described him as a “gifted basketball player and musician” who was “greatly loved by all who knew him.” The family has launched a Go Fund Me page to raise money for Roberson's funeral.

READ MORE: Chicago Police Criticized For Parking Bait Truck Filled With Nikes, Christian Louboutains In Black Neighborhood

From the Web

More on Vibe

Getty Images

Florida Judge Clears Record Of Man Who Overslept And Missed Jury Duty

A Florida judge made headlines last week when he sentenced a man to 10 days in jail for oversleeping and missing jury duty. Now, CNN reports the judge has cleared the young man's record.

Judge John Kastrenakes found 21-year-old Deandre Somerville in contempt of court for not showing up to jury duty during a civil trial. Kastrenakes vacated the contempt of court charge and cleared Somerville's record.

The West Palm Beach resident was originally sentenced to 10 days, 150 hours of community service, a written apology of no less than 100 words and $233 in fines. Judge Kastrenakes' decision prompted swift outrage on social media as Sommerville does not have a criminal record.

The judge reportedly reduced the sentence Friday when Sommerville appeared before the court to read the letter. "Before my hearing, I walked into the courtroom a free man with no criminal record. I left a criminal in handcuffs. This was an immature decision that I made, and I paid the price for my freedom," Somerville said while reading his letter.

On Saturday the Judge said Somerville's letter was 'moving, sincere and heartfelt " and noted that he "has been totally rehabilitated."

Kastrenakes said he ordered probation because he wanted to send a message that jury duty is "is serious business deserving of attention, respect, and adherence to their oaths." However, he said Somerville is "a thoughtful and respectful young man."

Continue Reading
Courtesy of Trinity County Sheriff's Office

A Texas Man Robbed A Bank The Day Before His Wedding To Pay For The Ring

A Texas man has been charged with aggravated robbery for robbing a bank the day before his wedding to pay for the ring and venue.

According to reports, Heath Edward Bumpus approached a bank teller at Citizens State Bank on Saturday (Oct. 4) and said he had a weapon and demanded money, which he left with.

“He basically stated that he was getting married tomorrow so he didn’t have enough money for a wedding ring that he wanted to buy and he needed to pay for the wedding venue,” Sheriff Woody Wallace said.

After learning of the robbery, Wallace posted Bumpus' photo on Trinity County Sherriff’s Facebook page in hopes the public would assist with his capture. In an ironic turn of events, Bumpus' fiancee saw the photo, called him and convinced him to turn himself into authorities.

“His fiancée, who he was supposed to marry tomorrow, was able to get in touch with him on the phone when she saw our post on Facebook. She knew it was him. She contacted him and asked him if he robbed a bank. She convinced him that she knew it was him. His picture was all on Facebook. He needed to turn himself in,” said Wallace in a video posted to his Facebook page.

Wallace said most of the money was returned, along with the clothes he threw out the window of his car and the gun he hid during the robbery.

Continue Reading
Spencer Platt

NYPD Arrests 24-Year-Old Suspect In Quadruple Homeless Homicide

There appears to be no rhyme or reason behind the vicious attacks on five of New York City's homeless, which has left not only the community but other New Yorkers shaking their heads in dismay.

According to The New York Times, Rudy Rodriguez Santos was arrested and charged in the quadruple homicide, which took place at about 2 AM Saturday (Oct. 5) in the Chinatown section of the city. Authorities have not released the names of the victims but revealed one of them was an 83-years-old man. The fifth victim has been transported to a nearby hospital.

Advocates for the homeless say there's no way to know exactly how many men and women are living on the street, however, in a 2018 tally the number was 3,588, with 62,000 men and women living in shelters.

Blocks away from the scene, police found 24-year-old Santos holding a bloody metal bar. He was reportedly taken into custody without incident.

“The motive appears to be, right now, just random attacks,” Michael Baldassano, the chief of Manhattan South Detectives said. “No one was targeted by race, age, anything of that nature.”

Santos was captured on surveillance footage approaching the area where one of the attacks took place. Another attack was recorded on a security camera. When approached by investigators, Santos identified himself in the video but didn't confess to the crime. He later asked for an attorney.

Tang Wu, a manager of the Forever Health Pharmacy at 2 East Broadway, caught the attacks on his store's camera and was flabbergasted at the callousness of it all.

“They have nowhere to live and you beat them to death,” Wu said. “How terrible.”

Continue Reading

Top Stories