Remy Ma Catches Heat For R. Kelly Comments

The rapper is being criticized for seemigly defending Kellz during an episode of 'State of the Culture.'

The internet is turning up the heat on Remy Ma for her comments about R. Kelly’s history of sexual abuse allegations, and the forthcoming Lifetime documentary series that delves into reports that the singer runs a sex cult.

The topic came up during Monday's (Oct. 29) episode of State of the Culture with Joe Budden, Scottie Beam, and Jinx. During the segment, Budden argued that Kelly was an abuse victim who suffers from a "sickness", which opened a discussion on whether he deserves redemption.

Beam brought up the “aunties” who continue to support Kelly in spite of the allegations, Budden countered by pointing out that Kelly’s career is starting to take a financial hit.

Remy pointed out that the Grammy winner was acquitted of wrongdoing. “He went to trial for it before. We had video of him getting intimate with an underage girl. We have another video where -- I don’t think she was underaged but he was all in her,” she said adding, “Most rapists don’t eat your a**. It was just crazy.. I’m like 'ok, so you get acquitted but you still get banished?”

The conversation got murkier from there. Jinx pointed to the sex cult allegations, Remy diverted the conversation to the family’s of the women who claimed that the Chicago singer had been holding them hostage under the guise of advancing their careers.

“When I first heard [the story], it wasn’t like the women complained. It was the mother of the women or a family member,” Remy explained. “It’s so weird where we live in a world that women and men do some sick s**t and they be wit’ it. If you’re daughter is 14,15,16, 17, and she wants to f**k a guy that’s 30-anything...you’re fighting against it.”

“I’m not saying that he’s right,” she said before mentioning reports of Kelly being illiterate. The Bronx native went on to question how the current “climate” plays into the influx of sexual allegations circulating in the news. Jinx noted that the allegations against Kelly predates the #MeToo movement.

Throughout the discussion, Remy reiterated that she wasn’t picking a "side" in the matter, and the show's director reportedly denied that she defended Kelly.

But the internet appears to disagree.

Check above for the full SOTC discussion.

READ MORE: R. Kelly Opens Up About Sex Cult, Illiteracy And More On 19-Minute Track

From the Web

More on Vibe

Kevin Winter/Getty Images

YG Hints At Follow-Up Song To "F**k Donald Trump"

Since Donald Trump's inauguration two years ago, YG has been a staunch opposer of No. 45. The Compton native has amplified his stance through public statements to recording his disdain on the 2016 single "FDT" which stands for "F**k Donald Trump."

Now, on Jan. 15, the Still Krazy rapper took to Twitter to alert the masses that the "FDT" follow-up is on the way. The message, which went viral with over 20,000 retweets, ignited a wave of excitement within fans. Although YG released another part of the song featuring G-Eazy and Macklemore, details are still a little murky as to the exact type of content or format his rumored melody will entail.

When the original "FDT" was released, YG claimed the Secret Service contacted his record label, Def Jam, to review more lyrical content on his album. In an interview with Rolling Stone, YG said, "The Secret Service started calling in about the song when it got released. The song didn’t release through Def Jam; we just leaked it. So then, weeks passed. I’m turning in my album and the song was. … It’s goin’ crazy. I saw that and I’m like, 'Damn. I need to put this on the album.' We had to censor damn near a big part of the song. But I did it because the record was important. I’m like, 'Man, this sh*t got to be on the album. F**k it.”

"FDT" was eventually turned into a national tour with the proceeds benefiting victims of police brutality. "Like, we was just trying to really make the tour mean something real besides the 'F**k Trump' thing, because I don't want nobody to think I'm just trying to do this to capitalize off what's going on and his name," he said. "It's like nah, like I'm really out here for the people. And I'm gonna show y'all in so many different ways."

FUCK DONALD TRUMP 2 BOMING SOON

— STAY DANGEROUS (@YG) January 15, 2019

Revisit the original song below featuring Nipsey Hussle.

Continue Reading
Getty Images

Lil Wayne And Childish Gambino To Headline 2019 Broccoli City Festival

The  Broccoli City Music Festival lineup has been announced, and the roster is pretty epic. Lil Wayne and Childish Gambino will reportedly headline the one-day music concert alongside a number of stellar hip-hop acts.

Teyana Taylor, Ella Mai, 6lack, Lil Baby, Gunna, Wizkid, City Girls, and YBN Cordae will also be performing at the event in Washington D.C. State of the Culture personality Scottie Beam and media personality Rodney Rikai will reportedly host the outdoor festival.

"Our top priority is making sure that as we continue to grow and evolve, we remain accessible to our community,” Broccoli City founder Brandon McEachern said in a statement to Billboard.

This is the perfect timing for the festival's headliners. Lil Wayne will likely perform his 2018 album Tha Carter V. Gambino is expected to be dropping his final studio album under his current stage name, and this concert will likely serve as one of his final performances before he moves on to another chapter.

As usual, the festival will also include a series of events, including the BroccoliCon, which will consist of a two-day conference featuring prominent leaders in the urban community, and a 5K run and fitness festival.

The 2019 Broccoli City Festival will go down on Apr. 27. Tickets go on sale this Friday at 10 a.m. EST through BCFestival.com.

Continue Reading
Kristian Dowling

Soulja Boy Claims He Had Migos' "Versace" Beat Before Them

Soulja Boy stopped by The Breakfast Club on Wednesday (Jan. 16), where he set the record straight about his place in hip-hop history. According to Soulja, he doesn't get enough credit for being the Godfather of hip-hop and putting artists like Migos and Drake on.

During the interview, Soulja revealed that he actually had the beat to the Migos' breakout hit "Versace" before they did. "The Migos, that beat, ‘Versace,’ that was my beat. Zaytoven gave us the same beat," he stated. "That’s how me and Migos met.

He claimed that he used that beat for his song "Teach Me How to Swag Part II," which is reportedly on YouTube. "I called them n***as and I was like, 'yo n***a that’s my beat. What’s up with y’all n***as.'" he continued. "Oh my bad bruh, you know how Zaytoven do. He send every rapper in the game the same beat.' 'And I was like okay, you know what? We got to make some music together. We got cool off that. That was 2012, n***a. I knew the Migos before Drake did."

Charlamagne followed Soulja Boy's revelation by suggesting the rapper was the "Godfather of hip-hop," to which Soulja agreed. "On God I am. That's facts," he insisted.

Soulja Boy's latest comments come after the rapper shaded the industry for not giving him credit for influencing the game. During The Breakfast Club interview, the rapper also explained why he had the biggest comeback of 2018.

Check out a clip from his radio interview below.

 

Soulja Boy Just Wants His Credit pic.twitter.com/y3UmtvP6ym

— 2Cool2Blog (@2Cool2Blogggg) January 16, 2019

Continue Reading

Top Stories