Andrea_Kelly_R_kelly_Domestic_Violence-1528914335-650x366-1544047034
Andrea Kelly believes her ex-husband R. Kelly is behind gun threats that forced a screening of a documentary about his accusers to be shut down.
Getty Images

Andrea Kelly Believes R. Kelly Is Behind Gun Threats At Documentary Screening

"Someone on the outside does not want what’s going on on the inside to be completed."

Last night (Dec. 4), news spread of an evacuated screening of the upcoming R. Kelly docu-series, Surviving R. Kelly, due to reports of gun threats. Those in attendance at the screening included #MeToo founder Tarana Burke, writer and editor Jamilah Lemieux and several of R. Kelly’s accusers.

While there are no leads as to who was the person behind the threats to the venue, Andrea Kelly, the ex-wife of the musician, believes that the singer had something to do with the early evacuation.

“The first thing that came to my mind — and I can’t speak for anyone else — was that [R. Kelly] had this shut down,” she told Rolling Stone. She noted that the evacuation occurred 20 minutes into the screening, which she called “magical.”

“I believe it was somebody connected to him,” she continued. “This was an outside inside-job to me; someone on the outside does not want what’s going on on the inside to be completed. Whoever it came from, they know that this is not a good thing because there’s power in numbers.”

However, she believes that there was strength that came with the threat of violence at the screening, noting that “they just put gasoline on a fire” that will continue to burn longer and stronger.

“This is my moment of vindication; this is my chance for someone to listen to my story” and it got cut short. But this is in no way the end. This isn’t a stop; it was just a pause,” she said. “This is so strong and powerful and life-changing that you have people that don’t want this story told. That means that you speak louder. That means that you come together like never before. That means that you keep pushing forward. You put cracks in us, but you didn’t break us. What we should be concerned about is if no one felt threatened by this documentary."

READ MORE: Throw The Whole Man Away: Why The Black Community Must Stop Supporting R. Kelly

From the Web

More on Vibe

Getty Images

Blueface Reportedly Facing Prison Time For Unregistered Handgun Possession

According to The Blast, rapper Blueface could face jail time for unregistered handgun possession.

A few weeks ago, the "Thotiana" MC was arrested for possession of a fully-loaded handgun in Los Angeles. The charge is a felony, and carries a maximum of three years behind bars. Coupled with an existing firearm charge, this spells trouble for the California native.

"Back in November, Blueface was busted in Santa Clarita, CA for his alleged involvement in a robbery and vehicle-to-vehicle gunfight," writes The Blast. "He was in a car that crashed into the center divider on the freeway, and he was arrested on a $50,000 bond for assault with a deadly weapon." The rapper (born Jonathan Porter) is due back in court next week.

Despite issues within his personal life, the 22-year-old's professional life continues to thrive. His hit song "Thotiana" currently sits at the No. 20 slot on the Billboard Hot 100 chart. Rappers such as YG, Cardi B and Nicki Minaj have put their respective spins on the track, and Young M.A. reportedly teased her own version of the song in a now-deleted clip posted to her Instagram.

Continue Reading
Getty Images

Stockton Launches Basic Income Program Gifting Residents With $500 A Month

Stockton, California has launched its basic income plan gifting dozens of residents with $500 a month, the Huffington Post reports.

Last year, Stockton Mayor Michael Tubbs responded to criticism over the program which was designed to help close the poverty gap as residents struggle to stay afloat amid California's skyrocketing rent prices and increase in homelessness.

The basic income plan -- the first of its kind to be launched by a U.S. city -- was announced by Tubbs and the Stockton Economic Empowerment Demonstration (SEED) in 2017. Under the program, 130 residents will receive a monthly stipend via prepaid debit cards for the next 18 months.

Exciting! Congrats to the team, the city, and to the recipients. We’ve learned so much getting to this point and I am looking forward to learning more. Stockton lead the way @stocktondemo #ReinventStockton https://t.co/j2OPkA4zG8

— Michael Tubbs (@MichaelDTubbs) February 15, 2019

Stockton's median household income is just under $50,000 a year. Residents are chosen through an “algorithm” to make sure that the selection is representative of the community’s diversity.

The money is funded by a grant from the Economic Security Project, in addition to other funds raised, Tubbs said.

“There’s no restriction on how people can use the money,” he pointed out. “If people use it for drugs and alcohol that’s there prerogative. [But] if I didn’t believe in the capacity of the folks who elected me to make good decisions, I probably shouldn’t be mayor.”

Continue Reading
Getty Images

Alabama Newspaper Editor Calls On KKK To Lynch Democrats In Washington D.C.

The editor of a failing Alabama newspaper made news after he penned an editorial pleading for the KKK to “night ride again.” Goodloe Sutton, editor and publisher of the Democrat-Reporter, a small weekly paper in Linden, Ala., doubled down on his racism in an interview Monday (Feb. 18).

"If we could get the Klan to go up there and clean out D.C., we'd all been better off," he told the Montgomery Advertiser. "We'll get the hemp ropes out, loop them over a tall limb and hang all of them.”

Sutton added that he’s not asking for “Americans”  to be lynched. “These are socialist-communists we’re talking about.” He also compared the KKK to the NAACP. “They didn’t kill but a few people. The Klan wasn’t violent until they need to be.”

In his editorial, Sutton lashed out against Democrats in the Republican party for “plotting to raise taxes in Alabama.”

“They do not understand how to eliminate expenses when money is needed in other areas,” he wrote. “The socialist-communist ideology sounds good to the ignorant, the uneducated, and the simple-minded people.”

Later in the piece Sutton put a bird call out to the KKK. “If you haven’t noticed, they did away with the draft so their sons would not have to go into battle. Seems like the Klan would be welcome to raid the gated communities up there.

Sutton’s editorial is obviously catching backlash and calls for his resignation. The Alabama Press Association’s Board of Director’s condemned Sutton and suspended the newspaper’s membership. Auburn University’s Journalism Advisory Council voted to revoke his award in community journalism and the University of Southern Mississippi took him off their Journalism Hall of Fame.

Sutton's paper is doing so badly that he was forced to move the publication to an old barbecue restaurant. This new round of publicity could officially put the paper out of its misery.

Continue Reading

Top Stories