Build Presents Russell Simmons, Donte Clark And Jason Zeldes Discussing "Romeo Is Bleeding" Build Presents Russell Simmons, Donte Clark And Jason Zeldes Discussing "Romeo Is Bleeding"
Russell Simmons visits the AOL Build Series in Summer 2017.
Getty Images

Russell Simmons Reportedly Wants Rape Case Dismissed, Says He's Pro-#MeToo

Last year, he slammed allegations against him.

Russell Simmons reportedly said that since he is a supporter of the #MeToo movement, there is no way that he could have sexually assaulted one of the women accusing him.

According to a report from The Blast, the entertainment entrepreneur is hoping to get one of his rape cases dropped; a Jane Doe filed a lawsuit against him after accusing him of a sexual assault in 1988.

"Simmons explains he is a well-known entrepreneur and civil rights activist who 'fully embraces the #MeToo movement' and the 'critical importance of creating safe spaces for women to thrive and lead in every facet of our society.'

Last year, he attempted to launch a #NotMe campaign in order to defend himself from sexual assault allegations.

“Today, I will focus on “The Original Sin” (Keri Claussen), the claim that created this insane pile on of my #MeToo. Stay tuned! We’ll share information today," he wrote on Instagram in Dec. 2017. "And tomorrow the case of Jenny Lumet."

A representative for Simmons told  “These allegations are made up of whole cloth. This ruling simply allows her to file her complaint. We will be filing a motion for sanctions against her and her lawyer for bringing such a frivolous suit.”

READ MORE: Russell Simmons Launches #NotMe In Response To Sexual Misconduct Allegations

From the Web

More on Vibe

Shareif Ziyadat

Jussie Smollett Arrested For Filing False Report

Jussie Smollett has reportedly been arrested and is in the Chicago Police Department's custody on Thursday (Feb. 21) Chief Communications Officer Anthony Guglielmi confirms. He has reportedly been charged with one count of felony disorderly conduct for filing a false police report.

"Jussie Smollet is under arrest and in custody of detectives,"  Guglielmi announced on Twitter. "At 9am at #ChicagoPolice Headquarters, Supt Eddie Johnson, Commander of Area Central Detectives Edward Wodnicki will brief reporters on the investigation prior to the defendants appearance in court."

Smollett has been charged three weeks after he told law enforcement that he was the victim of an alleged hate crime. He claimed that two Trump supporters brutally attacked him in the early hours of the morning in Chicago. The assailants allegedly doused him with a liquid substance and hung a noose around his neck before yelling racial and homophobic slurs.

Following his initial statement, police noticed several holes in his statement. After several interrogations, officials interviewed two brothers believed to be involved with the attack. Footage last night proved that the two had purchased several supplies that may have been used at the time of the incident. The newly-surfaced video, along with other evidence obtained by the police, prompted the charges brought against Smollett.

Smollett's attorneys,Todd Pugh and Victor Henderson, issued a statement to USA Today, maintaining Smollett's innocence. "Like any other citizen, Mr. Smollett enjoys the presumption of innocence, particularly when there has been an investigation like this one where information, both true and false, has been repeatedly leaked. Given these circumstances, we intend to conduct a thorough investigation and to mount an aggressive defense."

If Smollett is convicted, he faces up to three years in prison.

Press Briefing: Jussie Smollet is under arrest and in custody of detectives. At 9am at #ChicagoPolice Headquarters, Supt Eddie Johnson, Commander of Area Central Detectives Edward Wodnicki will brief reporters on the investigation prior to the defendants appearance in court. pic.twitter.com/9PSv8Ojec2

— Anthony Guglielmi (@AJGuglielmi) February 21, 2019

Continue Reading
John Lamparski

Diddy Settles Sexual Harassment Lawsuit With Former Chef

Diddy has reportedly reached a settlement with his former personal chef in a sexual misconduct lawsuit that was filed in 2017, NBC Los Angeles reports.

The settlement stems from a lawsuit Cindy Rueda filed nearly two years ago. Rueda was reportedly Diddy's personal chef from Apr. 2015 to May 2016. She accused the Bad Boy mogul of sexual harassment and unfair wages. She claimed that she never received additional pay for extra work hours during her time of employment.

Additionally, she alleged that Diddy requested that Rueda serve breakfast to him and a guest in his bedroom. During those incidents, she said she was forced to see "Mr. Combs and his guest indisposed and engaged in sexual activity." Upon entering, she alleged that he would then yell and curse at her.

In Aug. 2017, a Los Angeles Superior Court Judge sent Rueda's case to mediation outside of the court due to the terms of an agreement she previously signed as an employee for Diddy.

The terms or value of the settlement has not been disclosed at this time.

Continue Reading
Getty Images

Jussie Smollett Facing Felony Charge For Filing False Report

Update: 8:00 pm ET (Feb. 20, 2019) - Jussie Smollett has reportedly been charged with a class 4 felony charge for filing a false police report, according to The New York Times. If convicted, he faces up to three years in prison.

Original story below...

Jussie Smollett is officially a suspect in the alleged attack that occurred in Chicago earlier this year. Chicago Police Department spokesman Anthony Guglielmi  announced the news on Twitter on Wednesday (Feb. 20).

“Jussie Smollett is now officially classified as a suspect in a criminal investigation by #ChicagoPolice for filing a false police report (Class 4 felony),” Guglielmi tweeted.

Case Update: Jussie Smollett is now officially classified as a suspect in a criminal investigation by #ChicagoPolice for filing a false police report (Class 4 felony). Detectives are currently presenting evidence before a Cook County Grand Jury. pic.twitter.com/FhDcbBKsuU

— Anthony Guglielmi (@AJGuglielmi) February 20, 2019

Felony criminal charges have been approved by @CookCountySAO against Jussie Smollett for Disorderly Conduct / Filing a False Police Report. Detectives will make contact with his legal team to negotiate a reasonable surrender for his arrest. pic.twitter.com/LvBSYE2kVj

— Anthony Guglielmi (@AJGuglielmi) February 21, 2019

The announcement comes only moments after video surfaced of the two brother purchasing ski masks, gloves, and other supplies in a local store. The Osundairo brothers were allegedly hired by Smollett to act out the attack.

Smollett has adamantly denied accusations that he staged the attack. His family, Fox, and many other celebrity friends also released statements defending him. On Wednesday evening (Feb. 20), Smollett's legal team (Todd Pugh and Victor Henderson) issued the following statement:

“Like any other citizen, Mr. Smollett enjoys the presumption of innocence, particularly when there has been an investigation like this one where information, both true and false, has been repeatedly leaked. Given these circumstances, we intend to conduct a thorough investigation and to mount an aggressive defense."

Story developing... 

Continue Reading

Top Stories