Bennett College gets $500,000 gift from Papa John's
Getty Images

Bennett College Receives $500K Donation From Papa John's To Remain Open

With just a week before their potential closing, the HBCU has raised a third of their $5 million goal. 

Fearing closure after losing accreditation, Bennett College, one of the few all-women HBCUs, has received a large donation from Papa John's to keep them open.

According to News & Records, the HBCU announced the pizza company gifted the $500,000 award from the Papa John's Foundation on Thursday morning (Jan. 24).

Steve Ritchie, the newly appointed CEO of the chain posted the good deed to Twitter aligning their good faith with the college.

"We shared last year that the values that would drive the transformation of Papa John’s would be equity, fairness, respect, and opportunity," Papa John's said in a statement, alluding to the infamous incident where founder John Schnatter used racist language in a conference call.

"We’re proud to support Bennett College, which not only shares these values but embodies them in their continual pursuit of inquiry, civic engagement, social justice, lifelong learning, and equity for all."

Bennett College is one of two historically black colleges for women left in the country. Unless the college can raise $5 million by the Feb. 1, the college will end its reign after 145 years. A few weeks before, the all-girls-school received a $40,000 donation from Mt. Zion Baptist Church and on Thursday (Jan. 24), the Z. Smith Reynolds Foundation of Winston-Salem announced its gift of $500,000.

“To get (these donations) back to back, it’s overwhelming,” Bennett College President Phyllis Worthy Dawkins told the outlet. Papa John's gift might come with a few side-eyes from critics, but Dawkins cited the comapny's new leadership as a reason why she accepted the gift.

The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges revoked Bennett College's accreditation in December, so now the HBCU is looking for the money necessary to hold onto its accreditation.

Possibly a good deed, or maybe just an attempt to turn the bad press, all we know is this donation is one step closure to keeping Bennett College open.

 

 

 

From the Web

More on Vibe

CBS Los Angeles

Eric Holder Trial Date Could Coincide With Anniversary Of Nipsey Hussle’s Murder

A trial date has reportedly been set for Eric Holder, the man accused of killing Nipsey Hussle. Holder’s two-week trial is likely to begin in early April and is expected to end by April 14, Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Robert Perry said in court on Wednesday (Feb. 19).

There’s a possibility that the trail could start in late March, which would coincide with the one-year anniversary of Hussle’s murder.

Judge Perry noted the seriousness of the case while addressing Holder in court. “These cases take time to get ready for trial,” Perry said according to the New York Daily News. “You have a right to a speedy trial.”

The case has been continued until March 18. Perry told Holder that the court would its best to begin the trial within 30 days. Holder agreed to the continuance and is scheduled to return to court next month.

Hussle, born Ermias Asghedom, was gunned down in the parking lot of his South Los Angeles clothing store on March 31, 2019. Holder was arrested two days later in Bellflower, Calif., which is roughly 20 miles away from the murder scene.

Last November, Judge Perry denied a motion to have two of Holder's charges dismissed sighting that there was enough evidence to go to trial. Holder, 30, has pleaded not guilty to one count of murder, two counts of attempted murder, one count of assault with a firearm, and one count of possession of a firearm by felon.

Holder allegedly reached out to a podcaster last week and vowed to share his story after the trial.

If convicted, Holder faces a maximum of life in prison.

Continue Reading
Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images

LeBron James Sets Children's Book For Release This Summer

A man of many talents, LeBron James is adding author to his stacked resume. According to Entertainment Weekly, the three-time NBA champion joined literary forces with HarperCollins Publishers to create a children's book titled I PROMISE. The book will be released in August.

"Books have the ability to teach, inspire, and bring people together. That's why these books, and the opportunity to get children and parents reading together, mean so much to me," he said. "Most importantly, we wanted to make sure these stories are ones that every single kid can see themselves in. I PROMISE is powerful in that way and I can't wait for people to read it." On Instagram, James expounded upon his statement, hoping that the text will inspire its young readers and encourage the next game-changer.

"Man, the beauty of this is the process in how we got here," he wrote. "Never settling no matter the opportunities or chapters we add to this journey and now we get to share our promise and our story with kids and families everywhere. I can’t wait for everyone to read this, share this, feel empowered, and strive for greatness the same way my kids from Akron do every day." The book is illustrated by Nina Mata and will focus on giving back to communities and a reminder to always bet on yourself.

 

View this post on Instagram

 

Our own children’s book⁉️ What!! @ljfamfoundation @ipromiseschool Man, the beauty of this is the process in how we got here. Never settling no matter the opportunities or chapters we add to this journey and now we get to share our promise and our story with kids and families everywhere. I can’t wait for everyone to read this, share this, feel empowered, and strive for greatness the same way my kids from Akron do every day. 🙏🏾 Middle school edition next. 👀 👑 @harpercollins

A post shared by LeBron James (@kingjames) on Feb 18, 2020 at 9:10am PST

EW also notes the book will be followed by "a middle-grade novel" in 2021. The news follows another feat for the pro-athlete off the hardwood. After opening a public elementary school in his home state of Ohio in 2018, James' self-titled foundation partnered with Kent State University to offer free tuition for four years to the school's first graduating class.

Continue Reading
Pascal Le Segretain/Getty Images

Pop Smoke Dies At 20 After Home Invasion

On Wednesday morning (Feb. 19), it was reported that rising rapper Pop Smoke was fatally shot during a home invasion, TMZ reports. The incident occurred around 4:30 a.m. in Hollywood Hills, California.

Local law enforcement has launched a search for two male suspects who were seen fleeing the scene of the crime on foot. According to ABC Los Angeles, the residence where the murder occurred is located on the 2000 block of Hercules Drive. Pop Smoke was taken to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center where he was pronounced dead.

Born Bashar Barakah Jackson, the 20-year-old was on the rise in the music world, breaking onto the scene with 2019's anthem "Welcome To The Party." The Brooklyn native received acclaim for his Meet The Woo project, having recently followed it up with Meet The Woo Vol. 2 mixtape, that debuted at No. 7 on the Billboard 200. The "Dior" rapper also announced a "Meet The Woo Tour" that was slated to kick-off on March 2, beginning the ascent of a fulfilling career.

This story will be updated as more information is made public.

Continue Reading

Top Stories