Deadly Shooting At Santa Fe High School In Texas Leaves 10 Dead
Getty Images

Jazmine Barnes' Wrongfully Accused Killer Faces Death Threats After Shaun King's Viral Post

"I just want everyone to back off. The truth is out. It had nothing to do with us." 

Before Erick Black, 20, and Larry Woodruffe, 24 were arrested for murdering seven year-old  Jazmine Barnes in a Walmart parking lot in Houston, Texas, activist Shaun King had posted a photo of another man deemed to be the killer on Twitter last week. The image, which went viral, was of Robert Cantrell, a white man who was present at the scene  but was reportedly just running for his life when the fatal shooting happened.

Now, Cantrell’s family is getting a slew of death threats on social media even after the suspects were taken into custody, ABC News Chicago reports. Initially, the photo King posted was that of Cantrell’s mug shot, which he captioned: “We've had 20 people call or email us and say he is a racist, violent (expletive) and always has been. Just tell me everything you know." The tweet has since been deleted.

Still, it doesn’t help that the sketch of the alleged murder suspect someone from Barnes' family described to the Harris County Sheriff’s Office last week resembles Cantrell.

Cantrell’s niece, Hailey has reportedly received disturbing messages on Facebook. "I hear, 'Someone is going to rape, torture and murder the women and children in your family," one commenter wrote.

Although she admitted to being scared because she thought her uncle might have killed Barnes, she wants the world to leave her family alone now that the truth has come to light.

"I just want everyone to back off. The truth is out. It had nothing to do with us, nothing to do with my uncle at all," Hailey said.

Shaun hasn't responded to the mishap, but he did affirm on Twitter that Cantrell was just an innocent bystander on the scene.

According to USA Today, Barnes' funeral was held on Tuesday (Jan 8) at Community of Faith Church is Houston.

From the Web

More on Vibe

Joe Raedle/Getty Images

Wyclef Jean Reflects On Past Decision To Run For President Of Haiti

Nine years ago, Wyclef Jean announced his trek to become president of Haiti. The public decision was made after the country endured a damaging earthquake that altered its external and internal infrastructure. Now, during the Cannes Lions Festival, Jean is revisiting that time he stepped into the world of politics.

"What I did in Haiti, it has galvanized the youth around the entire world because sometimes our job is not to get there, but our job is to inspire the next generation to get there," the "Gone Till November" singer said, according to Page Six. He continued, "I need people to understand that rappers have brains. I really don't think they understand how smart celebrities are. Not all of them, you know, but a lot of them."

In a 2010 interview with TIME, Jean, 49, outlined his reason for seeking the presidential seat. "The quake drove home to me that Haiti can't wait another 10 years for us to bring it into the 21st century," he said. "If I can't take five years out to serve my country as President, then everything I've been singing about, like equal rights, doesn't mean anything."

According to The Guardian, the country's electoral council rejected Jean's ballot for office but opted to not give a reason as to its decision. Still, the desire to be involved in politics in his home country has remained prevalent since his youth. "I'm all about job creation," he noted. "That's my whole thing within my country."

Continue Reading
Mark Makela

Bill Cosby Receives Backlash For "America's Dad" Father's Day Post

Bill Cosby caused quite the frenzy on social media this past Father's Day (June 16). Although the comedian and actor is currently sitting behind bars, he managed to make a number of people upset with his latest Twitter message.

"Hey, Hey, Hey…It’s America’s Dad," he tweeted. "I know it’s late, but to all of the Dads… It’s an honor to be called a Father, so let’s make today a renewed oath to fulfilling our purpose —strengthening our families and communities. #HappyFathersDay #RenewedOathToOurFamily"

Many Twitter users took issue with Cosby labeling himself, "America's Dad." While he has previously been considered as such due to his pivotal role on The Cosby Show, many felt it was inappropriate due to the countless accusations of rape and sexual assault made by more than 60 women throughout his career. Furthermore, Cosby is currently serving a three to 10-year prison sentence for three counts of aggravated indecent assault.

So, between Cosby's Father's Day post and O.J. Simpson's newly-launched account, it's turning out to be a weird month for Twitter. Check out Cosby's full message and the reactions below.

Hey, Hey, Hey...It’s America’s Dad...I know it’s late, but to all of the Dads... It’s an honor to be called a Father, so let’s make today a renewed oath to fulfilling our purpose —strengthening our families and communities.#HappyFathersDay#RenewedOathToOurFamily pic.twitter.com/6EGrF87t6G

— Bill Cosby (@BillCosby) June 17, 2019

Bill Cosby, disgraced father and husband, still in denial that he got busted. Maybe he and OJ could get a shared account.

— Fif de Florence (@DrFifiRx) June 17, 2019

https://twitter.com/kevonareed/status/1140607803855384576

https://twitter.com/wannahiketheat/status/1140607451722596354

pic.twitter.com/DJD397emHl

— Michael Peters (@peteydallas) June 17, 2019

pic.twitter.com/PWkqBiMZ9p

— Posa (@justposa) June 17, 2019

Continue Reading
Jason Bean-Pool

O.J. Simpson "Gets Even" On New Twitter Account, Denies Kris Jenner Rumors

The Juice is loose... on Twitter that is. O.J. Simpson just made a Twitter account, and according to the former NFL star and accused murderer, he has a lot of "getting even to do."

"Hey Twitter world, this is yours truly. Coming soon to Twitter, you'll get to read all my thoughts and opinions on just about everything," Simpson said his first Twitter video, entitled "Coming Soon!" "You'll get to read my tweets on just about everything. It should be a lot of fun. I've got a little getting even to do."

O.J. elaborated on his statement in a follow-up video, saying, "for years people have been able to say what they want to say about me, with no accountability."  He added: "But now I get to challenge a lot of that B.S. and set the record straight..."

In his first order of business, the Juice decided to comment on those ongoing rumors about an alleged sexual relationship he had with Kris Jenner. O.J. and Jenner were said to have started an affair while the momager was still married to her first husband, Robert Kardashian.

Coming Soon!!! pic.twitter.com/R1tXOuuLgO

— O.J. Simpson (@TheRealOJ32) June 15, 2019

"Never – and I want to stress never – in any way shape or form had I ever had any interest in Kris, romantically, sexually, and I never got any indication that she had any interest in me," Simpson said. "So all of these stories are just bogus. Bad, you know, tasteless."

He also commented on the rumors that he is Khloe Kardashian's biological father. "Khloe, like all the (Kardashian) girls, I’m very proud of, just like I know Bob would be if he was here. But the simple facts of the matter is she’s not mine," he continued.

Simpson blamed the rumors on Norman Pardo, a guy who "the media love to say is my manager." Despite those reports, however, Simpson asserts that he has "always managed my own affairs." "So, when you see these guys like Norm, and these guys claim that they are my manager, it’s just not true."

If this is how O.J. Simpson is starting his new Twitter account, who knows what he'll talk about next.

Thanks to all my new followers. Love learning how to use Twitter. pic.twitter.com/J4JnN59yKl

— O.J. Simpson (@TheRealOJ32) June 16, 2019

The first thing I want to set straight is this story Pardo (who was not my manger) is talking about all over the media regarding me & @KrisJenner pic.twitter.com/tZ9EJd4qxF

— O.J. Simpson (@TheRealOJ32) June 17, 2019

Continue Reading

Top Stories