WSJ Tech D.Live
Phillip Faraone

Kevin Hart Discusses Oscars And Homophobic Tweets On 'Ellen'

"I had an incredible and honest conversation with [Kevin Hart] about hosting the Oscars."

At the tail-end of 2018, Kevin Hart received major backlash after homophobic tweets he wrote in 2009 and 2011 resurfaced online. The controversy led him to withdraw from his hosting gig at the Oscars. While the comedian has been relatively silent since the incident, he's now ready to sit down with Ellen DeGeneres to discuss his past transgressions.

Ellen took to Twitter on Jan. 3, where she revealed that she and Hart had a heartfelt chat on her self-titled show. "I had an incredible and honest conversation with @KevinHart4real about hosting the #Oscars," she tweeted. "It was supposed to air on Monday. I don’t want you to have to wait, so now it’s gonna air tomorrow."

On the show, Kevin presented his side of the situation, stating: "when it happened, my first thought is I’m gonna ignore it. I’m gonna ignore it because it was 10 years old. This is stuff I’ve addressed... I’ve apologized for it; I’m not gonna pay it any mind. Because when you feed into that stuff, you only add more fuel to the fire. I know that within my apologies, I’ve taken 10 years to put my apology to work."

He continued: "I look at life through a different lens and because of that I live it a different way. So to be put in a position where I was given an ultimatum—'Kevin apologize or we’re going to have to find another host'—when I was given that ultimatum, this is now becoming like a cloud. What was once the brightest star, the brightest light ever, just got real dark."

He also explained why he ultimately chose to leave the Oscars behind. "The Oscars is no longer about Kevin Hart stepping on that stage and taking an intense night where people are so uptight and making it loose and fun," he said. "That’s my reason for doing it: I’m gonna bring fun to the Oscars. I’m gonna make the Oscars fun. Now all of a sudden it’s a little darker, because the conversation isn’t about me hosting the Oscars. The conversation is about Kevin Hart’s tweets from 10 years ago and homophobia."

As previously noted, Hart was supposed to host the 91st Academy Awards on Feb. 24, before a series of tweets resurfaced online. The tweets suggested Hart would be physically abusive towards his son if he were ever to come out as gay. In light of the backlash, Hart revealed that the Academy had asked him to apologize or else. The Night School actor ultimately declined the request ad stepped down from his role.

"I have made the choice to step down from hosting this year's Oscar's," Hart said on Twitter in Dec. 2018. "This is because I do not want to be a distraction on a night that should be celebrated by so many amazing talented artists."

As of now, the Academy has not selected a replacement host. Hart will appear on The Ellen DeGeneres Show on Jan. 4, at 4 p.m. ET on NBC. Check out Ellen's tweet and a clip of the show below.

From the Web

More on Vibe

Exclusive: Will Smith And Martin Lawrence Discuss "Odd Couple" Energy For 'Bad Boys For Life'

It might seem like it was ions ago, but Will Smith and Martin Lawrence returned to the top of the box office in January with the third installment of the Bad Boys franchise. Bad Boys For Life brought our faves to the big screen with their classic banter and unmatched energy.

In an exclusive clip from the film's digital release, the two discuss what makes their chemistry so electric. For Lawrence, it was the mission to keep comedy at the forefront of the action-packed film. Elsewhere in the clip, the film's directors Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah share their experience working with the film veterans.

"I cannot even describe it when they're together something happens," Adil says. "Whatever they do is funny, cool and so interesting. We don't have to do a lot of directing, we just let them do what they do."

Bad Boys For Life grossed over $60 million in its opening weekend and $204 million globally. The film is officially available today (March 31) for digital release. It will land in 4K UHD, Blu-ray and DVD on Tuesday, April 21.

It was recently announced that Sony already kicked off plans to develop a fourth film for the franchise. According to The Hollywood Reporter, Chris Bremner, who worked on Bad Boys for Life, has been tapped to handle the script.

You can read out VIBE VIVA cover story with Bad Boys For Life co-star Nicky Jam here. 

Continue Reading
Singers Adrienne Bailon (L) and Kiely Williams of the 'Cheetah Girls' pose for photos around Mercedes Benz Fashion Week held at Smashbox Studios on October 18, 2007 in Culver City, California.
Katy Winn/Getty Images for IMG

Kiely Williams Explains Fallout With Adrienne Bailon Houghton And Alleged Fight With Raven-Symonè

Our current isolated way of life has given some plenty of time for reflection like Kiely Williams of the former girl group 3LW and The Cheetah Girls (ask your kids). The tales of both successful groups have been told time after time by fans in YouTube documentaries and members of each collective but Williams has decided to share her side of the story.

Williams hopped on Live Monday (March 30) where she discussed her former friendship with The Real co-host Adrienne Bailon Houghton and the infamous chicken throwing fight with actress/singer Naturi Naughton. The mother of one didn't pinpoint exactly why she fell out with Houghton but did point out how she wouldn't be interested in appearing on her talk show.

"I don't think Adrienne wants to have live TV with me," Williams said. "'Cause she's gon' have to say, 'Yes Kiely, I did pretend to be your best friend. Now, I am not.' You were either lying then or you're lying now. You either were my best friend and now you're just not claiming me or you were pretending [to be my best friend."

The two remained friends after Naughton was kicked out of 3LW, the platinum-selling group known for 2000s pop hits like "No More (Baby I'ma Do Right)" and "Playas Gon' Play." Williams and Houghton were eventually picked to be apart of The Cheetah Girls with then-Disney darling Raven-Symonè and dancer Sabrina Bryan.

Williams went on to discuss her fight with Naughton, which she denies had anything to do with her skin color. With her mother near, Williams claimed Naughton called her a b***h, leading to the fight. While she didn't clear up the chicken throwing, she stated how she was "going for her neck" and was holding food and her baby sister in the process.

Apologies aren't on the horizon either. “I don’t feel like I have anything to make amends for, especially as it relates to Adrienne,” Kiely said. “As far as Naturi goes, if there was ever a reason to apologize, all of that has kind of been overshadowed by the literal lies and really ugly stuff that she said about my mom and my sister. So, no. Not interested in that. I’m sorry.”

Moving onto The Cheetah Girls, Williams also denied claims she got into fights with Raven-Symonè on the set of The Cheetah Girls films and never outed her as a teen. The rumor about Symonè and Williams was reportedly started by Symonè's former co-star Orlando Brown.

Symonè has often shared positive memories about The Cheetah Girls and their reign but did imply during an episode of The View how co-star Lynn Whitfield kept her from losing her cool on set.

On a lighter note, Symonè, Houghton and Naughton have kept in contact with Naughton and Houghton putting their differences aside during an appearance on The Real. 

Symonè and Houghton also reunited at the Women's March in Los Angeles in January. During Bailon's performance at the event, the two briefly performed the Cheetah Girls' classic, "Together We Can."

Willaims also shared some stories about the making of the group's hits. Check out her Live below.

Continue Reading
Frazer Harrison/Getty Images

Drake To Direct Upcoming ’48 Laws Of Power’ Episode On Quibi

While Drake is behind the mic laying down new verses for upcoming music, the Toronto native will also step behind the camera to direct an episode of an upcoming series. Based on Robert Greene’s best-selling book The 48 Laws of Power, the series of the same name will debut on Quibi in the near future.

Drake’s production company Dreamcrew, and Anonymous Content will helm the executive producing duties. The partnership will also receive executive direction from Dreamcrew’s co-founder Adel “Future” Nur and executive Jason Shrier. “When Drake and I sat down with Robert Greene it was incredibly inspiring,” Future said. “The laws allow for a wide range of dynamic storytelling and Quibi allows us to tell these stories in bite-sized chapters similar to the book.” The entertainment outlet will launch on mobile on Apr. 6.

Greene, who’ll be an executive producer as well, said he’s looking forward to the cinematic adaptation of his 1998 book. The passage outlines the road to success through philosophies taught by Sun-tzu, Machiavelli, and more.

"I have always thought that The 48 Laws of Power would be a perfect fit for a series, bringing to life the timeless Machiavellian game of power as portrayed in the book. But it was not until Drake and Future with Anonymous Content approached me with their unique cinematic approach to the laws that I knew I could join forces with them and go all in for a filmed interpretation of my work," Greene said. Anonymous Content will spearhead the studio.

Although music videos might be the only time you see Drake on the television screen, for now, the 33-year-old has his hands in a couple of TV projects from Netflix to HBO. On the former streaming service, Drake executive produced London's hit series Top Boy. On HBO, the first season of Euphoria, which Drake recently posted a picture of a table read on his Instagram, is headed into its second season. The production is currently on hold due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

 

View this post on Instagram

 

😢

A post shared by champagnepapi (@champagnepapi) on Mar 24, 2020 at 2:48am PDT

Continue Reading

Top Stories