Rolling Loud Los Angeles 2018
Scott Dudelson

Report: XXXTentacion Left Out Of Grammys Memoriam Due To Abuse Allegations

A new report claims the rapper was purposely left out of the televised memoriam video. 

As tradition, the Grammys aired its In Memoriam segment during the Sunday (Feb. 10) ceremony. While the video honored the stars we lost in the past year including Mac Miller and Aretha Franklin, many noticed that XXXTentacion was missing from the clip. Well, according to a new report from Variety, the Recording Academy  omitted X from the segment due to his past domestic abuse allegations.

According to the report, reps for the late rapper "requested repeatedly" for the Recording Academy to recognize X during the ceremony, but their pleas were quickly denied.

While organizers have not spoken on the matter following the televised program, Academy president Neil Portnow previously expressed hesitation in including XXX in the memoriam. "I will tell you it’s a daunting challenge," Portnow told Rolling Stone in a Dec. 2018 interview. "We track those that we lose in our industry in any given year and then we have a process by which we go through it. Our on-air in memoriam — we’re lucky if we wind up [featuring] 10 to 15 percent of those we lose."

Despite not appearing on the televised segment, the Academy released a longer list of names of artists and creatives who passed away in between 2018 and 2019 online . That list includes XXXTentacion.

As previously reported, before X's death in June 2018, he was accused of beating his ex-girlfriend while she was pregnant. He was facing trial in the case, but it was dropped following his death. Even so, the controversy surrounding his alleged abuse resulted in a larger conversation of whether it is possible to separate music from an artist's actions in the wake of the #MeToo movement.

From the Web

More on Vibe

Prince Williams

Kareem "Biggs" Burke Launches New Music Company, Signs First Artist

After nearly a 15-year hiatus from the music industry, Kareem "Biggs" Burke is back with a new music company called Circle of Success. To kick the newly-launched business off right, Burke has already announced his first signee, Brooklyn-based artist, SAINt JHN.

Circle of Success is a management company that oversees musicians. In an interview with Billboard on Feb. 19, Biggs discussed his new venture and artist.  "The night [Roc Nation co-founder Tyran Smith], played a preview of SAINt JHN's new album, I drove home listening to Collection One and had an immediate sonic connection to his music," Burke said.

The Roc-A-Fella cofounder also addressed his new company on Instagram, noting that it was his first time backing an artist since Kanye West nearly 20 years ago. "The last 2 projects I’ve done was College Dropout and Late Registration," he wrote. "After such a long time away I’ve decided to jump back in with someone who I believe will be equally as impactful and change the game and be a HUGE brand with the music being the core of the business. @saintjhn made the decision easy for me because it’s very rare you come across talent like his. I’m BACK!!!!"

SAINt JHN is a singer-songwriter and rapper. He has previously written songs for Usher, Jidenna, and others. He also released his first album under his current moniker in Mar. 2018, entitled Collection One.

Be on the look out for what's to come from Biggs' Circle of Success company and SAINt JHN.

 

View this post on Instagram

 

The last 2 projects I’ve done was College Dropout and Late registration. After such a long time away I’ve decided to jump back in with someone who I believe will be equally as impactful and change the game and be a HUGE brand with the music being the core of the business. @saintjhn made the decision easy for me because it’s very rare you come across talent like his. I’m BACK!!!! #circleofsuccess #management Full story in my bio...

A post shared by Biggs (@biggsburke) on Feb 19, 2019 at 10:10am PST

Continue Reading
Getty Images

Meek Mill Responds To Comedian Michael Rapaport's Critique

While Meek Mill's pregame performance at the NBA All-Star game on Sunday (Feb. 17) may have been praised by many on Twitter, there was one person who was not impressed by the Philadelphia rapper's appearance. Comedian/actor Michael Rapaport used his Twitter account to critique Mill, but the latter didn't hold his tongue back either.

"Aye @michaelrapaport don't ever use the word trash when you speaking on nothing from our culture unless you tryna get trashed," Meek wrote. "#2 who gave you authorization to be speaking on us? #3 what you charging now?"

Aye @michealrapaport don’t ever use the word trash when you speaking on nothing from our culture unless you tryna get trashed 🤫 #2 who gave you authorization to be speaking on us? #3 what you charging now? Last time I seen You you wanted a selfie 🥴 be great tho on the net 🤷🏾‍♂️

— Meek Mill (@MeekMill) February 18, 2019

A couple of tweets after his first response to Rapaport, the "Going Bad" rapper posted a picture with the New York City native who he claims "wanted a selfie" with him.

Me:ayo yo who this? Anonymous: I think it’s the guy from white men can jump? Him: meek you so fire you give me that feeling what hip hop is missing ima fan “can I get a selfie”? Hurry up go head 🤦🏾‍♂️ pic.twitter.com/GJoMZotqG9

— Meek Mill (@MeekMill) February 18, 2019

The tweets that got Mill fired up by the 48-year-old entertainer featured references about the rapper's previous beef with Drake and his, in Rapaport's opinion, incapability to rap on beat.

"Where I'm from, if you get dragged by DRAKE & don't respond you're & always will be WACK," Rapaport started.

Where I’m from, if you get dragged by DRAKE & don’t respond you’re & always will be WACK.

At least make it competitive. Re-Up Something

People catching feelings, cause you know I’m right about Meek Mill

— MichaelRapaport (@MichaelRapaport) February 18, 2019

Meek Mill have a hearing problem? Because he rhymes off the actual beat on everything he’s on. Literally off the beat, like NoFlow

— MichaelRapaport (@MichaelRapaport) February 18, 2019

The Next Friday actor has yet to respond to Meek's retort.

Continue Reading

Rico Nasty Teams Up With Zack Fox To Release Meme Filled Video For "Sandy"

Rico Nasty might not appear in her new video, but the memes will make you stay anyway.

Over the weekend, the rapper and rage connoisseur dropped a music video her new track "Sandy." Directed by comedian Zack Fox, the Kenny Beats produced tune brings out the best in Rico as she enjoys her warranted glow-up while comparing her lifted moments to Spongebob Squarepants' other bestie, Sandy Cheeks. “Smoking out the bowl like a b***h named Sandy / I’m original that’s why the b***hes can’t stand me.”

Her chemistry with Kenny Beats has always been strong (listen to "Trust Issues), but Zack's varied selection of memes will take you back to the days of lurking on Failblog before memes were a popular Internet snack.

In addition to releasing tracks like “Big D**k Energy,” and “Roof,” the Brooklyn native dropped Countin Up, a documentary powered by The Fader to highlight her journey in the music industry and motherhood.

Check out the "Sandy" video up top and the Countin Up documentary below.

Continue Reading

Top Stories