BIG3 - Week One
Ronald Ortiz

Ice Cube And CBS Sports Join Forces To Broadcast BIG3 Basketball League's Forthcoming Season

Ice Cube has scored a slam dunk with this new deal. 

Ice Cube’s 3-on-3 basketball league BIG3 is getting a primetime slot on CBS and CBS Sports for its upcoming season, which kicks off on Saturday, June 22. The 11-week season will air on Saturday and Sundays on both networks. Both channels plan to broadcast a total of 20 hours of coverage, and an additional 25 hours of live game coverage on CBS Sports.

This is a huge win for the rap star/actor, who created one of the world’s premiere 3-on-3 leagues, which gives a chance to the older players in the sport to keep shining. Some of the legendary players who played last year on the league include: Amar’e Stoudemire, Drew Gooden, Nate Robinson, Stephen Jackson, Carlos Boozer, Glen ‘Big Baby’ Davis, Chris ‘Birdman’ Andersen, Rashard Lewis, Metta World Peace, Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf, Corey Maggette, among many others.

The league’s new teams include the likes of Triplets, Enemies, Bivouac and Aliens, states a press release. “Since day one, BIG3 has always been about hard-nosed, fierce competition. Now we’re ramping it up with more teams, younger players, and a shiny new TV deal with CBS Sports,” Ice Cube said. “Our first two years were about showing that our vision was credible. This year is about taking the game to a whole new level. This is a big deal.”

The California rapper made this initiative possible with partnering with Jeffrey Kwatinetz, who couldn’t be more elated to make this joint venture with CBS come into fruition.

“The enthusiasm of the BIG3 from sports pioneer Sean McManus and his team of, David Berson, Dan Weinberg, and Greg Trager was infectious,” Kwatinetz said. “The future is bright for the BIG3, and it’s an incredible advantage to build on the success of the BIG3 by partnering with the number one network and drawing off the experience of the team that broadcasts some of the biggest and most prestigious championship games in sports.”

On Wednesday, May 1, CBS Sports will air BIG3's draft, where 120 players will compete for the 31 spots on the league's 12 teams.

 

From the Web

More on Vibe

Courtesy of KSDK

Teacher Arrested For Hiring A Hitman To Kill The Child He Allegedly Molested

A St. Louis teacher accused of molesting a then 7-year-old boy reportedly hired a hitman to kill the child and family.

According to Newsweek, Deonte Taylor worked as a teacher's assistant at Lusher Elementary School in 2015 when he allegedly removed the boy from the class, took him to an empty classroom engaging the child in oral sex. Although the boy's family reported the incident to local authorities at the time, Taylor wasn't arrested.

Between 2015 to 2018, Taylor worked toward his teacher's license and became a fifth-grade teacher at Walnut Grove Elementary school in the Ferguson-Florissant School District, and since he wasn't charged he was able to teach.

"Mr. Taylor went through the same process that all of our teaching candidates go through. Everyone goes through a criminal background check, sexual abuse registry background check and there was nothing that showed up on that," Ferguson-Florissant School District spokesperson Kevin Hampton told KSDK.

In November 2018, however, Taylor was arrested after DNA evidence proved his sample matched the DNA evidence of the victim.

Taylor, 36, faces three charges of statutory-sodomy.

While in jail awaiting trial, Taylor reportedly hired someone to kill the boy, now 10 and his family. He convinced his 66-year-old boyfriend Michael Johnson, to pay the hitman to carry out the fatal deed, which he did. However, the hitman turned an informant and exposed the plan to authorities.

Along with his charges stemming from child molestation, Taylor now faces two counts of conspiracy to commit murder and two counts of attempting to tamper with a victim in a felony prosecution. Johnson faces the same charges.

Both men appeared in a St. Louis court last week and pled not guilty. They're being held in jail without bond.

Continue Reading
Kevin Mazur/Getty Images for Coachella

Beyonce Releases Initial Version Of "Sorry"

The month of April belongs to Queen Bey after she's gifted fans with something new week after week. Following the debut of her first of three reported productions with Netflix, plus new clothing merchandise just in time for spring, Beyonce placed her Lemonade album on all streaming services.

Not only is her sixth solo studio album available on Spotify, Apple Music, and other platforms, but she also added a demo version of "Sorry" as the last track. This melody hosts a notable departure from its album version, stripping away from the resounding drums and added lyrics for a stripped-down version of the song written by Wynter Gordon, MeLo-X and the "All Night" singer. The album's upload also arrives on the three-year anniversary of its debut (April 23).

Through its exploration of different music genres, Beyonce revealed her emotions and perseverance in the face of Jay-Z's infidelity. "Sorry" served as one of those songs that put this bump in their marital journey on lyrical display.

In a previous interview with David Letterman, Jay-Z said therapy played a pivotal role in mending their marriage. “We did the hard work of going to therapy. We love each other, so we really put in the work for years,” he said. "...I like to believe we’re in a better place today. I’m proud of the father and the husband that I am today.”

Continue Reading
*A flag with a blue and black stripes in support of law enforcement officers, flies at a protest by police and their supporters outside Somerville City Hall in Somerville, Mass.*
AP/Charles Krupa

Black Woman Awarded $100,000 Settlement Over 'Blue Lives Matter' Complaint

A woman from Oregon was awarded a $100,000 settlement after complaining about harassment regarding a “Blue Lives Matter” flag in her office.

In her suit, Karimah Guion-Pledgure said that her workplace environment became “hostile” after a “Blue Lives Matter” flag was pinned up in her office. Guion-Pledgure– who works as a corrections technician– sued Multnomah County after months of what she called “racial harassment” that “demeans” the Black Lives Matter movement. She also says that the harassment and tension she experienced in the workplace led to issues with stress and health problems.

Guion-Pledgure began complaining about the flag in September 2017, after a probation worker in her office pinned it above his desk. To counter the flag, she created an “equity wall” in 2018, which featured photos of people of color who have been killed by police, as well as photos of children who were separated by their parents at the U.S.-Mexico border.

“A copy of the lawsuit obtained by the Daily News said the Blue Lives Matter movement 'co-opts' the Black Lives Matter movement’s slogan and repurposes it to shift focus from black lives to law enforcement, which is ‘a chosen profession, not a racial identity,’” reports the New York Daily News.

As part of her settlement Ms. Guion-Pledgure had to resign from her job this past Friday (April 19).

Continue Reading

Top Stories