Oscar Grant's family wants BART station named after him.
Justin Sullivan/Getty Images

Ex-BART Cop Lied About Details In Oscar Grant Murder, Report Reveals

A decade after Oscar Grant was murdered by a police officer at a BART station in the early hours of New Years Day comes disturbing details of how one of the involved officers set things in motion. Former BART police officer Anthony Pirone assaulted Grant, called him the n-word, and lied about what led up to a second officer opening fire and killing the 22-year-old father.

The documents released Wednesday (May 1) under a new California police transparency law, stem from an internal investigation completed by Meyers Nave law firm which was hired by BART shortly after Grant was killed in 2009. Pirone claimed that he was “fighting for his life” during the fatal incident when in actuality, he instigated the altercation with his “repeated and unnecessary use of force” against Grant and use of the n-word.

“Pirone was, in large part, responsible for setting the events in motion that created a chaotic and tense situation on the platform, setting the stage, even if inadvertent, for the shooting of Oscar Grant,” the document states.

Johannes Mehserle, the officer who shot and killed Grant, was found guilty of manslaughter and given the minimum two-year sentence. Mehserle claimed that he thought he pulled his Taser when he grabbed his gun and fired at Grant but the documents suggest that he was aware that he was pulling a firearm.

The investigation included numerous witness statements that reveal how officers provoked the fracas and that Grant was on the BART platform face down while a cop had his a knee in his back before he was killed. As the document states, Officer Mehserle is shown in the video “standing over Grant,” reaching for his gun and “firing one round into the back of Grant.”

Pirone and Officer Marysol  Domenici were the first to respond to a call of a disturbance at Oakland’s Fruitvale BART Station where the train was stopped. Grant was pulled off the train and forced to the ground as officers attempted to arrest him. Marysol and Domenici were fired over their involvement in Grant’s death, though Domenici was reinstated with backpay after she was found to be truthful during the investigation.

In 2010, Pirone was charged with unemployment fraud and grand theft for allegedly collecting unemployment checks even though he had a job.

After Mehersle was charged with murder, Domenici testified at his preliminary hearing painting Grant and his friends as the aggressors. “If they would have followed orders, this wouldn't have happened," she said.

Grant was pronounced dead at Alameda County Medical Center nine hours after the BART shooting. His death was one of the first police involved shootings to be captured on cell phone video and led to protests against police brutality. Grant’s mother and daughter were awarded a combined 2.8 million settlement from BART. Grant’s five friends who were on the train with him settled with BART for $175,000 each.

Click here to read the full report on Grant's murder.

From the Web

More on Vibe

Getty Images

Florida Judge Clears Record Of Man Who Overslept And Missed Jury Duty

A Florida judge made headlines last week when he sentenced a man to 10 days in jail for oversleeping and missing jury duty. Now, CNN reports the judge has cleared the young man's record.

Judge John Kastrenakes found 21-year-old Deandre Somerville in contempt of court for not showing up to jury duty during a civil trial. Kastrenakes vacated the contempt of court charge and cleared Somerville's record.

The West Palm Beach resident was originally sentenced to 10 days, 150 hours of community service, a written apology of no less than 100 words and $233 in fines. Judge Kastrenakes' decision prompted swift outrage on social media as Sommerville does not have a criminal record.

The judge reportedly reduced the sentence Friday when Sommerville appeared before the court to read the letter. "Before my hearing, I walked into the courtroom a free man with no criminal record. I left a criminal in handcuffs. This was an immature decision that I made, and I paid the price for my freedom," Somerville said while reading his letter.

On Saturday the Judge said Somerville's letter was 'moving, sincere and heartfelt " and noted that he "has been totally rehabilitated."

Kastrenakes said he ordered probation because he wanted to send a message that jury duty is "is serious business deserving of attention, respect, and adherence to their oaths." However, he said Somerville is "a thoughtful and respectful young man."

Continue Reading
Courtesy of Trinity County Sheriff's Office

A Texas Man Robbed A Bank The Day Before His Wedding To Pay For The Ring

A Texas man has been charged with aggravated robbery for robbing a bank the day before his wedding to pay for the ring and venue.

According to reports, Heath Edward Bumpus approached a bank teller at Citizens State Bank on Saturday (Oct. 4) and said he had a weapon and demanded money, which he left with.

“He basically stated that he was getting married tomorrow so he didn’t have enough money for a wedding ring that he wanted to buy and he needed to pay for the wedding venue,” Sheriff Woody Wallace said.

After learning of the robbery, Wallace posted Bumpus' photo on Trinity County Sherriff’s Facebook page in hopes the public would assist with his capture. In an ironic turn of events, Bumpus' fiancee saw the photo, called him and convinced him to turn himself into authorities.

“His fiancée, who he was supposed to marry tomorrow, was able to get in touch with him on the phone when she saw our post on Facebook. She knew it was him. She contacted him and asked him if he robbed a bank. She convinced him that she knew it was him. His picture was all on Facebook. He needed to turn himself in,” said Wallace in a video posted to his Facebook page.

Wallace said most of the money was returned, along with the clothes he threw out the window of his car and the gun he hid during the robbery.

Continue Reading
Spencer Platt

NYPD Arrests 24-Year-Old Suspect In Quadruple Homeless Homicide

There appears to be no rhyme or reason behind the vicious attacks on five of New York City's homeless, which has left not only the community but other New Yorkers shaking their heads in dismay.

According to The New York Times, Rudy Rodriguez Santos was arrested and charged in the quadruple homicide, which took place at about 2 AM Saturday (Oct. 5) in the Chinatown section of the city. Authorities have not released the names of the victims but revealed one of them was an 83-years-old man. The fifth victim has been transported to a nearby hospital.

Advocates for the homeless say there's no way to know exactly how many men and women are living on the street, however, in a 2018 tally the number was 3,588, with 62,000 men and women living in shelters.

Blocks away from the scene, police found 24-year-old Santos holding a bloody metal bar. He was reportedly taken into custody without incident.

“The motive appears to be, right now, just random attacks,” Michael Baldassano, the chief of Manhattan South Detectives said. “No one was targeted by race, age, anything of that nature.”

Santos was captured on surveillance footage approaching the area where one of the attacks took place. Another attack was recorded on a security camera. When approached by investigators, Santos identified himself in the video but didn't confess to the crime. He later asked for an attorney.

Tang Wu, a manager of the Forever Health Pharmacy at 2 East Broadway, caught the attacks on his store's camera and was flabbergasted at the callousness of it all.

“They have nowhere to live and you beat them to death,” Wu said. “How terrible.”

Continue Reading

Top Stories