Megan-Good-Plastic-Bottle-Efforts-Antigua Megan-Good-Plastic-Bottle-Efforts-Antigua
Meagan Good attends the premiere of 20th Century Fox's "Breakthrough" at Westwood Regency Theater on April 11, 2019 in Los Angeles, California
Photo by Jon Kopaloff/Getty Images

Meagan Good To Raise Awareness For Plastic Pollution At "Play It Out" Antigua Concert

Meagan Good is helping to raise awareness of plastic pollution by partnering with the United Nations Environment Program (UNEP) for a special event.

The actress will co-host "Play it Out," a concert and benefit in Antigua & Barbuda dedicated to combatting plastic waste in the UN and around the world. Launched in 2018 by President of the UN General Assembly and Antigua and Barbuda’s Prime Minister Gaston Browne, the concert is in tandem with the Campaign Against Plastic Pollution with support from countries like Norway, Monaco, and Qatar; and groups like United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS).

Good announced the partnership on Monday (May 27) while noting her efforts. The actress recently took part in a spread with Essence and made sure there were no plastic bottles used on set.

"Ridding our waters of plastic pollution and educating the world on nearly 13 million tons of plastics being dumped into our waters yearly, is crucial because it affects human health," she said. "Toxic chemicals leach out of plastic and are found in the blood & tissue of nearly all of us. Exposure to them is linked to cancers, birth defects, impaired immunity, endocrine disruption, and other ailments."

In a statement to the Antigua Observerthe actress expressed her happiness about the event. “I am honored to serve as host for this vitally important event and initiative," she said. "Plastic affects human health. Fish, seabirds, sea turtles and marine mammals can become entangled in or ingest plastic debris, causing suffocation, starvation and drowning."

View this post on Instagram

 

A post shared by @meagangood on

Good will co-host the concert with social media star Amanda Cerny. The concert includes performances from Ashanti, Soca legend Machel Montano, Robin Schulz, Nico and Vinz, Rocky Dawuni and Bomba Estéreo.

President of the UN General Assembly, María Fernanda Espinosa, also shared her joy about women dominating the efforts. “Having dedicated my presidency to women and girls everywhere, it gives me immense pleasure that Meagan and Amanda, two very successful women, will co-host this important event,” Espinosa stated.

 

View this post on Instagram

 

A post shared by President UN General Assembly (@unpga) on

Check out more behind the "Play it Out" concert and Campaign Against Plastic Pollution here.

From the Web

More on Vibe

Leon Bennett/Getty Images for BET

Jeremih’s Mother Opens Up About His Battle With COVID-19

Three weeks into his battle with COVID-19, Jeremih has been removed from the ICU and transferred to a regular room at the Chicago medical center where he is receiving treatment. The 33-year-singer was at his mother, Gwenda Starling’s, home when he started feeling ill earlier in the month.

Within a couple of hours, he couldn't walk properly and decided to go to the hospital, where he has been since Nov. 5. “A couple hours later he was calling me saying, ‘Mom, I need to go to the hospital. All of a sudden he couldn’t walk,” Sterling told ABC Chicago. “He was barely walking. He was holding his stomach.”

Thankfully, Jeremih’s condition got worse from there. He was in critical condition and placed on a ventilator. Starling described the experience as a “tremendous nightmare.”

“The whole family was just so saddened and just shocked, first of all. After we gout out of that whole shock thing, it was like ‘OK, we’ve got to pray.’”

Jeremih’s condition has slowly improved over the last several days. His mother noted that she knew he was healing when he started asking her for real food. “I got so teary-eyed, but I get so joyful at the same time because he’s pulling through,” she said.

The family hopes that he will be home by Thanksgiving. “It may be a bit much to ask God, but I figure we’ve been asking for everything else.”

Watch the full interview below.

Continue Reading
Alex Edelman / AFP) (Photo by ALEX EDELMAN/AFP via Getty Images

‘Chappelle’s Show’ Removed From Netflix At Dave Chappelle’s Request

Chappelle’s Show is no longer streaming on Netflix, at the request of Dave Chappelle. The comedian reached out to the company to ask them to remove the series, for which he received no residuals, and they quickly complied.

On Tuesday (Nov. 24), Chappelle’s posted an Instagram video from a recent stand-up show, called Unforgiven, where he further explained his reasoning for not wanting the Viacom/CBS-owned show to stream on Netflix. “[ViacomCBS] didn’t have to pay me because I signed the contract,” he explained of the sketch comedy show. “But is that right? I found out that these people were streaming my work and they never had to ask me or they never have to tell me. Perfectly legal ‘cause I signed the contract. But is that right? I didn’t think so either.

“That’s why I like working for Netflix,” he continued. “I like working for Netflix because when all those bad things happened to me, that company didn’t even exist. And when I found out they were streaming Chappelle’s Show, I was furious. How could they not– how could they not know? So you know what I did? I called them and I told them that this makes me feel bad. And you want to know what they did? They agreed that they would take it off their platform just so I could feel better.”

Episodes of Chapelle's Show had been streaming on Netflix for about a month. While the showw has been wiped from the streaming outlet, episodes remain on Comedy Central, CBS All Access, and HBO Max.

Watch Chappelle’s full clip below.

 

View this post on Instagram

 

A post shared by Dave Chappelle (@davechappelle)

Continue Reading
Marcus Ingram/Getty Images

‘Black Panther’ Sequel Will Reportedly Begin Filming In Atlanta Next Year

Filming on the highly anticipated sequel to Black Panther is set to begin next summer. Marvel Studios will start shooting the Ryan Coogler-directed sequel in July 2021, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

“The series are the priority, “ a source told THR of Marvel’s film strategy going into next year. “Ramping them up takes a lot of focus. The movie machinery is well established.”

The shoot will last at least six months. Princess Shuri, the character played by Letitia Wright, who plays King T’Challa's sister Princess Shuri, could take on an expanded role given the death of Chadwick Boseman.

Narcos: Mexico actor Tenoch Huerta will reportedly join the cast, while Lupita Nyong’o, Angela Bassett and Windsor Duke are also expected to return for the second installment of the Marvel film.

In September, Black Panther’s executive producer Victoria Alonso denied rumors that Boseman would appear in the film via CGI technology. “There's only one Chadwick, and he's not with us,” Alonso said. “Our king, unfortunately, has died in real life, not just in fiction, and we are taking a little time to see how we return to the story and what we do to honor this chapter of what has happened to us that was so unexpected, so painful, so terrible, in reality.”

Boseman, 43, passed away from colon cancer in August.

Continue Reading

Top Stories