mississippi-mayor-pays-drug-dealers-move
Rogelio V. Solis

Mississippi Mayor Willing To Pay Drug Dealers And Gang Members $10K To Leave

A Mississippi mayor is asking local philanthropists and business owners to contribute to a moving fund. Who's moving, you ask? Well if Clarksdale Mayor Chuck Espy gets his way, it will be the city's drug dealers, gang members and anyone who wants to be a criminal.

“They may be in the wrong environment,” Espy told reporters at Clarksdale City Hall. “So, what I’m saying as the mayor today, I will put money on the line to assist those type of people to move out of the city."

The amount of money is reportedly $10,000.

Espy was adamant about his desire to divorce the city of criminals. "But make no mistake about it, we are asking those three groups of people; if you are just simply a criminal, if you are a gang member or a drug dealer, move out of this city now.”

The new initiative came following a review of the city's crime statistics. However, Clarksdale Police Chief Sandra Williams said there were only 12 homicides in 2018.

Espy said the city needs to be safe as the summer is approaching and children will play outside.

“We want everyone in the city of Clarksdale to live safe, to be safe. We do not want to see a child dead in the streets,” Espy said. “We do not want to see an innocent bystander getting shot."

Local Rev. John Givins is working with the police and mayor to reduce crime, however, he's asking for anyone who may want to be a criminal to stay in the area.

“We encouraged [potential criminals] to stay in our city and become great citizens. We will also be putting an etiquette class in place for these people. And we have skill sets to prepare them for jobs coming to the city of Clarksdale.”

From the Web

More on Vibe

Courtesy of Clayton County Police

Suspected Serial Rapist Was Hired As A 2018 Police Recruit

A suspected serial rapist who was hired as a police recruit in Clayton County, Georgia was arrested Tuesday (Aug. 27) after DNA evidence linked him to seven assaults and one sexual battery.

During a press conference, Clayton County Police Chief Kevin Roberts took responsibility for hiring 24-year-old Kenneth Thomas Bowen III last year.

Bowen "was hired, by me, in June of 2018, and he was also terminated by me on Sept. 12, 2018," Roberts said. "He was removed from this agency during the academy process for being absent without leave. During the internal investigation, he was untruthful, which caused me to separate him from this agency."

The chief explained Bowen was scheduled to attend academy training and didn't arrive on time. When a superior questioned, Bowen reportedly said he was 30 minutes away. He didn't arrive for another three or four hours. When questioned about his whereabouts, Bowen didn't have a solid alibi.

"Had he not attempted to join the ranks of the Clayton County Police Department, it's questionable as to when we would have apprehended him," Roberts said.

The chief made it clear that Roberts was a recruit and "never a certified police officer with this agency."

The department caught onto Bowen after reviewing 911 calls about a suspicious people. Clayton County Police Lt. Tom Reimers said most of Bowen's alleged attacks took place within a two-mile radius of his home.

"We reviewed those calls and looked for names and the calls to see if perhaps an officer had in fact contacted him at some point in the past and run his name and birth date," Reimers said. "That did lead to obtaining his name and birth date from a call from 2016."

A search warrant was obtained last week and reportedly officer watched for Bowen at his current job and tailed him as he made his way back to his Clayton County, home. A traffic stop was conducted in which his DNA was taken. The positive DNA results came back Tuesday.

"We are in a safer state today because of Kenneth Bowen's arrest," the chief said.

Continue Reading
Charles Rex Arbogast

A Michigan City Council Candidate Wants To Keep A Town As White As Possible

A Michigan city council candidate merited shock and ire when she said she wants to keep a local town as white as possible. Jean Cramer made headlines over the weekend when she was posed a question by a moderator on diversifying Marysville, which is reportedly 95% white.

"My suggestion, recommendation: Keep Marysville a white community as much as possible," Cramer said.

Her statement was recorded by WPHM radio in which gasps can be heard from those in attendance and fellow candidates. However, the reactions didn't stop Cramer from doubling down on her statement.

"Seriously, in other words, no foreign-born, no foreign people because of what, in our past, we've experienced it's better to have ... simply American-born. Put it that way and no foreigners. No."

The 67-year-old was asked by a Port Huron Times Herald reporter to respond to criticisms from Mayor Kathy Hayman who has biracial grandchildren and a black son-in-law.  Cramer, however, didn't back down and went as far as to call Hayman's family "wrong."

"How can I put this? What Kathy Hayman doesn't know is that her family is in the wrong," she said. "(A) husband and wife need to be the same race. Same thing with kids. That's how it's been from the beginning of, how can I say, when God created the heaven and the earth. He created Adam and Eve at the same time. But as far as me being against blacks, no I'm not," Cramer said.

It took Hayman a bit to get her bearings, but she later responded to Cramer insensitive comments.

"My son-in-law is a black man and I have biracial grandchildren," Hayman continued. "And I take this very personally what you've said, and I know that there's nothing I can say that's going to change your mind. ... We just need to have more kindness -- that's it."

Another candidate, Mike Deising, was just as flabbergasted as the mayor and other candidates.

"Just checking the calendar here and making sure it's still 2019," Deising said. "Yeah, I thought we covered civil rights about 50 years ago."

 

Continue Reading
Theo Wargo

Spike Lee On Trump: "Why Are We Still Asking If This Guy Is A White Supremacist?"

A week after The New York Times published their widely praised 1619 editorial, Spike Lee sat with CNN's Anderson Cooper to discuss race and slavery in America.

The outspoken Oscar winner has never been shy about his disapproval of Donald Trump and wonders why three years into his presidency, people are still questioning the president's actions.

"Respectfully, why are we still asking if this guy is a white supremacist? I mean, it's not even a question anymore," the BlacKkKlansman director said.

The 62-year-old spoke of the Muslim ban, Trump's derogatory comments about Mexicans and his inability to denounce the Neo-Nazis, Alt-Right and white supremacists who participated in the 2017 "Unite The Right" Charlottesville rally.

"He can't make a decision between what's right and wrong? What's love and hate? He's going to be on the wrong side of history and that's going to be the first thing that's attached to him, that quote," Lee said referring to Trump's "very fine people" on both sides statement.

Cooper reflected on the march and admitted he was surprised at how brazen many were with their beliefs.

"Maybe I was stupid and nieve, but I was shocked to see all these, you know, whatever age they were people, totally fine showing their faces chanting 'Jews will not replace us' 'Blood and soil' Carrying Tiki torches," he said. "They're not even hiding."

"That's because the guy in the White House gave them the dog whistle to 'come on out!' " Lee said.

Continue Reading

Top Stories