Authorities Arrest Man Who Reportedly Orchestrated David Ortiz Shooting
On Friday (June 28), the Dominican Republic police arrested Victor Hugo Gomez, the man it believes orchestrated a shooting in early June that left former MLB player David Ortiz hospitalized. The Associated Press notes Gomez was detained in the country.
In previous reports, Gomez reportedly crafted the shooting that was intended for his cousin, Sixto David Fernandez. Allegedly, the latter shared information with the D.R.’s law enforcement officials on Gomez’s illegal activities that led to his arrest in 2011. The gunfire was reportedly meant for Fernandez, but struck Ortiz who was with the former that day at a restaurant. The AP also adds Gomez pleaded his innocence via his attorney Carlos Rubio.
“I want to clarify that I have nothing to do with any attempt on the life against Sixto David Fernandez. We’re family,” Gomez said. Since then, Ortiz has been cleared from intensive care but remains in a Boston hospital. He endured a bullet wound in his lower back.
In a previous social media post, Ortiz’s wife, Tiffany Ortiz, said the former Red Sox player’s road to recovery is steadily occurring. “David’s journey to good health has been bolstered by the many expressions of love that have come to us from across the globe,” she said. “Your support has lifted his spirits tremendously during this challenging time.”