Mother Of Eric Garner Addresses The Media During Trial Of NYPD Officer Pantaleo
Spencer Platt

NYPD Temporarily Suspends Cop Who Killed Eric Garner After Judge Recommends His Firing

The NYPD has temporarily suspended the officer who killed Eric Garner after an administrative judge recommended that he be fired from the department. Daniel Pantaleo had been on desk duty with a salary that peaked above six figures, since Garner's death five years ago.

"This has been a long battle, five years too long, and finally someone has said there is information this cop did something wrong," Garner’s daughter, Emerald, said. "It's been way too long to say he did something wrong."

Pantaleo is suspended without pay for 30 days, a standard practice in a disciplinary case. His lawyer plans to appeal the decision.

Garner’s mother, Gwenn Carr, urged the NYPD to finally “take action” in the case. “It’s past time for [New York] Mayor Bill de Blasio and the NYPD to end their obstruction, stop spreading misleading talking points and finally take action for my son,” Carr said.

Police commissioner Phillip Walzak will make a final decision on Pantaleo’s future with the NYPD later this month. "The Police Commissioner is aware of media reports and public statements today regarding the Pantaleo trial. Consistent with the NYPD disciplinary process, the Police Commissioner has not been provided the draft report.  It has been shared with the CCRB and the defense, for a standard period of final comment from each,” the NYPD said in a statement.  “The Deputy Commissioner of Trials will then deliver the completed report, with those comments, to the Police Commissioner for final disposition - to be determined this month.  Officer Pantaleo has been suspended, effective today, as is the longstanding practice in these matters when the recommendation is termination.

"All of New York City understandably seeks closure to this difficult chapter in our City's history.  Premature statements or judgments before the process is complete however cannot and will not be made," the statement continues. "In order to protect the integrity of the trial proceedings and conclusion, the NYPD will not comment further until the Police Commissioner makes the final determination."

Earlier in the week, activists interrupted the Democratic Debate to call for Pantaleo’s firing, simultaneously sending a message to DeBlasio, who is currently running for president and was participating in the debate. "Today for the first time in these long five years, the system of justice is working," DeBlasio said in response to Pantaleo’s suspension.

On Friday, activists gathered out front of NYPD headquarters to again demand that Pantaleo be fired.

Panatelao has denied using excessive force on Garner. Although he was found to have used a chokehold that was banned by the NYPD decades ago, a jury ultimately declined to indict him on charges related to Garner's death. In video of the incident, Garner can be heard pleading with police about not being able to breathe as Pantaleo continues to choke him. The 43-year-old father of five was later pronounced dead at a local hospital.

According to NBC New York, the judge found Pantaleo guilty of “reckless assault,” but not “intentional strangulation.”

From the Web

More on Vibe

Joe Raedle/Getty Images

Four Students Shot At Block Party Near Clark Atlanta University Campus

On the night before classes were set to start, four students were shot at a block party near Clark Atlanta University on Tuesday night (Aug. 20). WSB-TV reports the shooting took place near a library used by Clark Atlanta University, Spelman College, and Morehouse College students.

The party was celebrating the end of orientation for incoming students.

According to Atlanta police, four female students, ages 17-19, were injured. One student survived a shot in her chest, another in her leg, and bullets grazed two other girls. All were taken to Grady Memorial Hospital and listed in stable condition.

The news first broke out after a video went viral on Twitter around 10:30 p.m. on Tuesday (Aug. 20).

Smh this is OUTRAGEOUS! Someone has shot up the crowd of a block party between Spelman, Morehouse, and Clark Atlanta University with an automatic gun. At least two have been shot and more injured.

This is America in 2019... pic.twitter.com/727vuFzPAX

— Culture Central™️ (@CultureCentral_) August 21, 2019

"It appears there were two separate groups that were targeting each other and the students in the crossfire," said Atlanta Police Capt. William Rucker. The shooter has yet be apprehended as of Wednesday morning (Aug. 21). A prayer event on Clark Atlanta's promenade is scheduled for Wednesday evening.

 

View this post on Instagram

 

Due to an abundance of responses we are moving the prayer to this evening please stay tuned for the exact time and location. @causeorl @cau1988 #PrayerStillWorks #CAUSE **PLEASE TURN ON YOUR POST NOTIFICATIONS**

A post shared by Clark Atlanta University (@cau1988) on Aug 21, 2019 at 7:15am PDT

The AUC community is pulling together in the wake of a shooting incident involving two Spelman students and two Clark Atlanta University students last night. Please read a community update from Dr. Darryl Holloman, vice president of student affairs: https://t.co/hNz1TLbdbP pic.twitter.com/4Xt2abtkww

— Spelman College (@SpelmanCollege) August 21, 2019

Almost ten years ago on September 3, 2009, Jasmine Lynn, a freshman at Spelman University, was fatally shot while walking with friends on Clark Atlanta's campus. Devonni Benton fired his gun at least six times into a crowd. He was found guilty of felony murder among other charges and sentenced to life plus 25 years in prison.

Continue Reading
Getty Images

Lamar Odom, Kel Mitchell To Compete On 'Dancing With The Stars'

Lamar Odom, Kel Mitchell and Ray Lewis are just three big names who will reportedly be competing for the mirror ball trophy on the 28th season of Dancing With The Stars.

The contestant announcements were made on Wednesday morning (Aug. 21) on Good Morning America. Some of the other contestants include Queer Eye’s Karamo Brown, former Fifth Harmony member Ally Brooke and former U.S. Press Secretary Sean Spicer.

Odom recently made headlines after it was announced that he was removed from the BIG3 Basketball League, simply because he wasn’t ready for that type of game play. He’s been working to get back to some semblance of normal after a near-death experience at a Nevada brothel in 2015, and hopefully this is a step in the right direction. Mitchell is still going strong in terms of his involvement with his youth stomping ground, Nickelodeon. His childhood comedy partner Kenan Thompson said that he would be making appearances on the revamped version of the sketch-comedy series, All That, which Thompson executive produces.

Who are you rooting for? Sound off in the comments.

FULL CAST REVEAL OF @DancingABC: https://t.co/[email protected] @[email protected]@SeaBrinkley @seanspicer @[email protected] @[email protected]_Alaina @[email protected] @MWilsonSupreme #DancingOnGMA#DWTS

— Good Morning America (@GMA) August 21, 2019

Continue Reading
Matt Winkelmeyer

Keanu Reeves Will Reprise Role In ‘The Matrix 4’

Keanu Reeves is returning to The Matrix. Reeves and co-star, Carrie-Anne Moss, have signed on to reprise their roles as “Neo” and “Trinity” in an upcoming fourth installment of the successful film franchise, Variety reports.

Lana Wachowski, who wrote The Matrix and The Matrix Reloaded, will pen the script for the film produced by Warner Bro. Pictures and Village Roadshow Pictures. Additional information, including the plot and further details around other potential cast members returning for The Matrix 4, remain unknown. Production on the film is set to begin in 2020, a source told the website.

Lana and her sister, Lilly Wachowski, are credited with creating and directing The Matrix series. In 1999, a woman named Sophia Stewart filed a billion dollar copyright infringement lawsuit accusing the Wachowskis of stealing the script from her. Conflicting reports claim Stewart won the lawsuit, while others say the suit was dismissed.

The original Matrix film, which was released in 1999, brought in more than $400 million worldwide. Its 2003 sequel, The Matrix Reloaded, earned close to a billion dollars, while The Matrix Revolutions made just under $430 million.

Continue Reading

Top Stories