Protests Continue In Atlanta After Police Killing Of Rayshard Brooks
Joe Raedle/Getty Images

Former Atlanta Officer Charged With Murder Of Rayshard Brooks

If convicted, Garrett Rolfe could face life in prison, or the death penalty. 

Update: 9:40 P.M. EST (June 17, 2020) — According to numerous reports, several Atlanta’s police officers were refusing to work in reaction to charges brought against their colleagues for the murder of Rayshard Brooks. The walkout appeared to be centered around the city’s Zone 6 area, which cover’s East Atlanta. ADP denied the rumors.

Original story below...

The former Atlanta police officer who shot and killed Rayshard Brooks has been charged with felony murder, Fulton County District Attorney Paul Howard announced on Wednesday (June 17).

Garrett Rolfe faces 11 charges including felony murder, five counts of aggravated assault, criminal damage to property, and three counts of violation of oath. Rolfe was fired from the Atlanta Police Department after killing Brooks. If convicted of murder, Rolfe could face life in prison without parole, or the death penalty.

A second officer, David Brosnan, was moved to desk duty after the shooting. Brosnan has since been charged with aggravated assault and two violations of oath, for standing on Brooks’ shoulder and failing to “render timely medical aid.” Howard added that Brosnan admitted to standing on Brooks’ shoulder after he was shot.

“The arrest warrants have already been signed. We are asking Officer Rolfe and Officer Brosnan to surrender themselves by 6 p.m. [Thursday],” Howard said.

Howard recommended $50,000 bond for Brosnan, in exchange for agreeing to testify for prosecutors, and no bond for Rolfe who kicked Brooks in the back as he lay on the ground “fighting for his life.”

Don Samuel, an attorney for Brosnan, denied that his client agreed to testify as a witness for the prosecution, but said that he has been cooperating with the investigation. Samuel called the charges against Brosnan “irrational, unethical, and obviously based on factors which should have nothing to do with the proper administration of justice.”

Brooks, 27, was killed in the parking lot of a Wendy’s fast food restaurant last weekend. Officers were responding to a DUI call placed after Brooks had fallen asleep in his car while in the drive-thru. Howard stated that Brooks was compliant, jovial, and never displayed “any aggressive behavior” during the 42 minutes that he spoke with officers before being shot twice in the back as he ran away.

Though Brooks grabbed Rolfe’s Taser, Howard argued that the officer was aware of the Taser in Brooks’ possession and that it posed “no immediate threat” to the him, or “any other persons.”

Brooks was more than 18 feet away from Rolfe when he shot him in the back, Howard said. “At the time the first shot was fired, the utterance made by Officer Rolfe was ‘I got him.’”

From the Web

More on Vibe

Stefanie Keenan/Getty Images for Damon Dash Studios

Nick Cannon Apologizes To The Jewish Community For His “Hurtful And Divisive Words”

Nick Cannon issued an official apology over his controversial podcast that has since been deleted. The comedian and host shared another lengthy message on social media on Wednesday (July 15) apologizing to the Jewish community for his “hurtful and divisive words.”

“First and foremost I extend my deepest and most sincere apologies to my Jewish sisters and brothers for the hurtful and divisive words that came out of my mouth during my interview with Richard Griffin, reads a message on his Facebook page. “They reinforced the worst stereotypes of a proud and magnificent people and I feel ashamed of the uninformed and naïve place that these words came from. The video of this interview has since been removed.

“While the Jewish experience encompasses more than 5,000 years and there is so much I have yet to learn, I have had at least a minor history lesson over the past few days and to say that it is eye-opening would be a vast understatement,” the statement continues.

“I want to express my gratitude to the Rabbis, community leaders and institutions who reached out to me to help enlighten me, instead of chastising me. I want to assure my Jewish friends, new and old, that this is only the beginning of my education—I am committed to deeper connections, more profound learning and strengthening the bond between our two cultures today and every day going forward.”

Earlier in the day, Cannon posted a message stating that he’s “deeply disappointed” in ViacomCBS, and demanded that the company turn over the rights to Wild ’N Out. Now that he’s out at the network, Diddy offered to bright show to Revolt, although its unclear if that would be possible if Cannon doesn’t own the full rights.

Continue Reading
Tommaso Boddi/Getty Images

Megan Thee Stallion Says She Underwent Surgery After Suffering “Gun Shot Wounds”

Megan Thee Stallion is setting the record straight about a night out with Tory Lanez last Sunday (July 12) that ended with him being arrested on gun charges. The “Girls in the Hood” rapper posted a message on her Instagram account on Wednesday (July 15) revealing that she was suffered “gunshot wounds” and had to undergo surgery.

“The narrative that is being reported about Sunday’s morning events are inaccurate and I’d like to set the record straight,” wrote Meg. “On Sunday morning, I suffered gunshot wounds, as a result of a crime that was committed against me and done with the intention to physically harm me.”

Meg made it clear that she was “never arrested” and that police transported her to a local hospital where she underwent surgery to have the bullets removed. “I’m incredibly grateful to be alive and that I’m expected to make a full recovery, but it was important for me to clarify the details about this traumatic night.”

According to TMZ, a spokesperson for the LAPD said that officers had no idea that Megan was wounded. “At the time Megan Thee [Stallion] was with police she did not report that she was victim of any crime. And the LAPD has not received any additional information at this time.”

Police were responding to reports of multiple gunshots at a Hollywood Hills home where Meg was reportedly partying. Grainy footage from the incident appears to show her exiting a vehicle with her hands up. Lanez was apprehended on federal weapons possession charges and released on bond according to court records.

Megan has a visible trail of blood coming from her foot and LAPD had these niggas doing the CHA CHA SLIDE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE STREET BEFORE HELPING HER. Police are useless!

— Jalil (@dreadedgod) July 15, 2020


Read Meg's full statement below.


View this post on Instagram


I was never arrested. This whole experience was an eye opener and a blessing in disguise. I hate that it took this experience for me to learn how to protect my energy.

A post shared by Hot Girl Meg (@theestallion) on Jul 15, 2020 at 11:07am PDT

Continue Reading
David Livingston/Getty Images

Naya Rivera’s Cause Of Death Confirmed, Family Speaks Out

The Ventura County Medical Examiner’s Office completed an autopsy on Naya Rivera confirming her cause of death was an accidental drowning. “The autopsy findings are consistent with a drowning and the condition of the body is consistent with the time that she was submerged,” the coroner said on Tuesday (July 14).

There were no traumatic injuries or disease processes found during the autopsy and “no indication that drugs or alcohol played a role” in her tragic death. Rivera, 33, drowned after taking her 4-year-old son, Josey, out on a boat last week.

According to authorities, the doting mother and her son were out for a swim at Southern California's Lake Piru, when things turned fatal. In her final moments, Rivera mustered up the strength to boost her son back onto the boat but was ultimately unable to swim to safety. At least 9 people have drowned at Lake Piru since 1994.

Rivera's grieving family released a statement thanking authorities for recovering her remains, as well as the Glee star's fans, friends and colleagues for their support. “We are so grateful for the outpouring of love and prayers for Naya, Josey and our family over the past week,” the family said.  “While we grieve the loss of our beautiful legend, we are blessed to honor her everlasting legacy and magnetic spirit. Naya was an amazing talent, but was an even greater person, mother, daughter and sister.

“Thank you to the men and women of the Ventura, Tulare, and San Louis Obispo County Sheriff’s Departments for you commitment and unwavering effort to find Naya. We extend endless gratitude and ovation to the heroine who found her. Thank you to her fiends, colleagues, and fans for your continued support.

“Heaven gained our sassy angel. We kindly request that our privacy be respected during this very difficult time.”

Continue Reading

Top Stories