Breonna Taylor -- Suspect In Custody After Driving Into Protest And Shooting One In Seattle
David Ryder/Getty Images

Breonna Taylor Was Alive For Several Minutes After Being Shot By Louisville Police, New Report Finds

Disturbing details from the shooting reveal that Taylor fought for her life before succumbing to gunshot wounds.

Disturbing details from the night that Breonna Taylor was killed inside her home reveal that she was alive for several minutes after being shot multiple times by Louisville Metro Police officers. The night that Taylor was killed was her first day off after working several consecutive 12-hour shifts as an ER technician, according to an extensive report from the Louisville Courier-Journal.

As Taylor and her boyfriend, Kenneth Walker, dozed off from watching TV, police were preparing to raid her home. They assumed that she would be alone since the suspect tied to the alleged narcotics warrant had already been arrested at another location earlier that night. Taylor had no criminal record and no clear connection to the suspect. Nonetheless, when she and her boyfriend were woken up by knocks on the door they asked who it was but got no response.

Officers in plain clothes used a battering ram to break down Taylor’s door before opening fire at around 12:34 a.m. on March, 13. They fired more than 20 rounds. Walker fired back hitting Louisville Metro Police Sgt. Jonathan Mattingly in the leg. Police immediately ran to Mattingly's aid while Taylor was left untreated in her apartment. Authorities allege that they were unaware that Taylor was wounded inside the residence.

Walker said that he heard his girlfriend coughing and gasping for air as she lay dying. In an amended lawsuit filed on July 5, Taylor’s family alleges that she “fought for her life” for at least five minutes before succumbing to multiple gun shot wounds. He told investigators that Taylor was still alive and phoned her mother. However, the Jefferson County coroner asserts that Taylor likely died  about a minute after being shot. Authorities reportedly took Walker into custody 15 minutes after the shooting, and didn't inform dispatch that Taylor was inside the unit until nearly 30 minutes later.

“[Police were] yelling like, ‘Come out, come out, and I’m on the phone with her [mom],” Walker told investigators shortly after the shooting. “I’m still yelling because she’s over here coughing and like, I’m just freaking out."

The LMPD claims that five shots were fired at Taylor, but failed to specify which of the officers, Brett Hankison, Myles Cosgrove, or Mattingly, fired the rounds. Hankison was fired from the LMPD. Crossgrove and Mattingly have been reassigned to administrative duties.

“This is a tragedy all around,” said Louisville Mayor Greg Fischer. “You have an LMPD officer shot. His fellow officers rush to save him, not knowing if they will be shot at if they try to go inside, and not knowing that anyone has been hit. It is just a horrible tragedy that should never happen again.

Kentucky Attorney General Daniel Cameron is still investigated the case, along with the FBI. Though none of the officers have been arrested, several protestors were arrested earlier this week, including activist Tamika Mallory, Love & Hip Hop: New York’s Yandy Smith, and Real Housewives of Atlanta star Porsha Williams. The trio were among those apprehended and charged with felonies  during a protest outside of Cameron’s home. The charges have since been dropped.

From the Web

More on Vibe

Scott Olson/Getty Images

Michelle Obama Interviews Barack Obama For First Episode Of New Podcast

Michelle Obama kicked off her podcast this week with a very special guest. The former first lady welcomed her husband, Barack Obama, for a lengthy discussion about their childhood, as it relates to race and class, experiences that shaped their “notion of community,” and more.

Barack tweeted a photo from the podcast on Thursday (July 29) with the caption,. “Michelle and I have spent a lot of time together these past few months. We’ve had a lot of good talks — and this one’s up there with the best.”

Michelle and I have spent a lot of time together these past few months. We’ve had a lot of good talks—and this one’s up there with the best. Take a listen to the very first episode of Michelle’s podcast:

— Barack Obama (@BarackObama) July 29, 2020

The podcast aims to give listeners deeper insight into Mrs. Obama's life. “I spent a lot of time thinking, talking with friends and family,” she explained of her life after the White House. “Really just being, if you know what I mean. I reflected back on my time in the White House of course, but I went even deeper. I looked back at the whole arc of my life.

“In this first season, you’ll be hearing me talk with some of the people I’m closest with — my mom…my brothers…friends..colleagues. And I wanted to start at the most basic level. In these episodes, we’ll be discussing the relationships that make us who we are. Sometimes that might be as personal as our relationship with ourselves or how we navigate our health and our bodies at various points in our lives,” said Mrs. Obama. “In other episodes we’ll be talking about what the challenges and the joys of being a parent or a spouse…the growth we gain from leaning on colleagues and mentors…the friends that help us sort through the toughest times.”

Click here to listen to the first episode of The Michelle Obama Podcast.

Continue Reading
YG attends the 2019 BET Awards at Microsoft Theater on June 23, 2019 in Los Angeles, California.
Paras Griffin/Getty Images

YG Recalls Police Pulling Guns On His Children During Home Raid

YG has had his share of run-ins with police, but one incident was particularly harrowing for the Compton native. In an interview with The Morning Hustle, YG opened up about his home being raided and police pulling guns on his young daughters.

The incident occurred in January, a day after the  30-year-old rapper was briefly arrested for suspicion of robbery.  “They came through like four in the morning,” he recalled. “We asleep, the helicopter came around and all that..they bang the door in trying to get in the door, so I go downstairs, I open the door…boom! They drew [guns] on me. That’s normal, but my kids at the time [were] 4 years old and 6 [months old]. They were upstairs in the room with their mama.”

Cops went upstairs where his children were in the room with their mother. “They go up in the room and they got the big AK’s all up in my little kids’ faces [yelling] ‘Don’t move! I’m like ‘bro, what the f*ck is ya’ll doing? Ya’ll got me f*cked up! They doing this to my little kids…and these are little girls, you know what I’m saying?

“I’ve been through a lot of other stuff with the police but I’m from the streets though so it’s like I got a target on my back from that and I know that,” he continued. “When you from a certain area the police gon’ f*ck with you.”

YG added that he’s never been beaten by police, but at least two of his friends have been killed by cops. “It’s a lot of stuff that be going on with the police that don’t make the news, he said. “That activity [being targeted by police] became normal to us. [We’ve] dealt with that for a long time. It’s sad to say but when you’re Black, you feel like that’s what comes with being Black.”

The incident was the second time that police raided his home in the last year. In July 2019, authorities raided the residence in connection with a shooting investigation. YG was not involved in the investigation and was not home at the time.

Watch his full interview below.

Continue Reading
David Livingston/Getty Images

Naya Rivera Laid To Rest During Private Ceremony In Los Angeles

Glee star Naya Rivera was laid to rest during a private ceremony held at Forest Lawn Memorial Park in Los Angeles last week, according to a death certificate obtained by PEOPLE on Thursday (July 30).

Rivera’s funeral date was July 24. Her cause of death is listed as an accidental drowning, and her date of death is July 13 -- five days after she went missing at Lake Piru in Ventura County, Calif.

The 33-year-old actress took her 4-year-old son, Josey, out for an afternoon on the lake on July 8. Mother and son were in the water when things went awry and Rivera lifted him back onto the boat.

Rivera drowned within minutes of being submerged in the lake, her death certificate states. Josey was found safely on the boat and was able to tell authorities what happened to his mother.

Days later, Rivera’s family broke their silence to thank those who recovered her body.

“We extend endless gratitude and ovation to the heroine who found her. Thank you to her fiends, colleagues, and fans for your continued support,” the family said. “Heaven gained our sassy angel. We kindly request that our privacy be respected during this very difficult time.”

Continue Reading

Top Stories