In the effort to block production of the television adaptation announced last month, the father to Tejano queen Selena Quintanilla-Perez filed a suit against her widower and Endemol Shine North America on Friday (Dec. 2).
According to Quintanilla, Jr., Selena’s estate owns the sole rights to her name and image, yet did not sign off on the project, which tells the story of the late singer’s life with Perez beyond the fame.
Now that the series is underway, the suit states Perez is in violation of an Estate Properties Agreement he signed two months after Selena’s death in 1995, which stipulates all “Entertainment Properties” exclusively belong to his former father-in-law.
“[Chris Perez] doesn’t have the rights to publish a book or produce a television series based in any part on Selena,” said Quintanilla estate attorney Simran A. Singh. “Among other things, we are seeking a judicial declaration that the defendants have no right to exploit the series and stop production.”
However, according to Singh, Endemol “rejected the letter, didn’t inquire about the terms of the Estate Properties agreement from the Estate and said they would not refrain from production of the series,” Forbes reports.
Looks like Selena fans will have to wait to see how this unfolds in court.