Last night’s Oscars were a refreshing turn from the annual stuffiness it normally exudes. The tone immediately shifted the second our host of the evening, Ellen Degeneres, graced the stage with her sort of – ungraceful presence. It was blunt, free-spirited and humanized the entire evening amongst Hollywood’s biggest names. Perhaps it started with Ellen shouting “racists” to a racial-sensitive industry of actors–who else could have pulled that off?
Our favorite moments may have started with Ellen, but it ended with all things Lupita . Let’s not pretend we weren’t prepping ourselves for a potential Jennifer Lawrence win- just in case white Hollywood overlooked America’s new “it” girl–who happens to be an elegant, brown-skinned, natural haired and phenomenal actress. Hearing Lupita ‘s name announced was monumental, touching and endearing. Her innocence, nervousness and heartfelt speech was everything we dreamed of and the pain she endured in 12 Years A Slave has now paved the way for her happiness as a budding actress.
Ellen and Lupita may have been the stars of the evening, but there were other amazing moments too. Flip the page to see them.
Photo Credit: Getty Images
1. The most infamous selfie ever — that far exceeded 800,000 retweets in less than an hour.
2. Or the now famous pizza-delivery man, who I’m sure will be hounded for interviews soon.
3. And Lupita boogy’ing to “Happy,” which now seems fitting.
4. Kate Hudson and her stunning face
5. Merryl Streep’s awesome front row personality
6. Brad Pitt being the gentleman that he is and feeding Merryl Streep pizza!
7. Jamie Foxx’s presentation speech that broke the monotony of the rigid uptightness.
8. Ellen DeGeneres using Pharrell’s “Arby hat” for Oscar tithing
9. Cate Blanchett’s perfect and feminist approving (suck it) speech
10. 12 Years A Slave wins “Best Film”