The long-awaited Beyonce and Nicki Minaj collabo has finally happened. And the two music queens deliver all the quotables, bravado and gossip fodder you’ve been craving. But does “Flawless (Remix)” live up to its name?
Flip the page to check out our 15 thoughts on Beyonce and Nicki Minaj’s “Flawless Remix.”
1. First things first, how have Beyoncé and Nicki Minaj not worked together before this? The same Beyoncé who’s recorded with Rah Digga, Devin The Dude and Amil; and the same Nicki Minaj who has a song with The Lonely Island in her discography. It’s about damn time.
2. Blue Ivy’s mom is starting to find her comfort zone on these bars. Wouldn’t mind hearing more ’Yonce rapping in sparse portions.
3. That one line that everyone is talking about, the one about the whole elevator thing. You know Jay whispered that into Bey’s ear, for her to say. It has Shawn Carter written all over it. #relationshipgoals
4. Soo, within the first 30 seconds, Beyoncé says the
word acronym THOT. And as you read this, a Time thinkpiece is undoubtedly being written whitesplaining the origin, definition and sociological context of the term. That’s all. Moving right along…
5. Five years after Hov’s “D.O.A.,” Auto-Tune lives!
6. Hearing Nicki and Beyoncé boast about how flawless they indeed are is pretty awesome, because it’s true. But it’s a bit predictable, no? The real coup would’ve been an original rant from Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie—the Nigerian writer whose words dropped a feminism bomb on the album version—talking about how these basic, street lit authors ain’t on her level. Something like that.
7. The conceit level here is on a trilli. “You can say what you want, I’m the shit,” coos Mrs. Carter. But wait. Didn’t y’all immediately teleport Keri Hilson right out the paint when she dropped her own humble-by-comparison single “Pretty Girl Rock”back in 2010? (Refresher lyric: “Don’t hate me ’cause I’m beautiful”). This is some tasty Chamomile tea, though. —John Kennedy
Read the full article at VIBE.