SZA (and her voluminous hair) chopped it up with The Breakfast Club crew to discuss how she got involved with TDE, what she was doing before the come up and her relationship status. The 24-year-old singer/songwriter continues to create good music and crush the street fashion scene while she’s in the process of promoting her debut album “Z” as well as building her fan base.
Although there’s always a lot of pressure being the First Lady of an all-male group, SZA handled it well and earned the respect of all the homies by simply being herself. Click through the pages to see some highlights from the interview.
Photo Credit(s): Getty Images and Instagram
1. SZA’s name is an acronym derived from the Supreme Alphabet.
2. As a teen, SZA wasn’t able to listen to much hip hop and rap, so her musical influence is mostly from early jazz and blues musicians like Myles Davis and Louis Armstrong. Her only insight to contemporary music was through her sister who listened to mostly Wu-Tang.
3. SZA studied marine biology before dropping out of college. Delaware State and LIU are two out of several colleges that she attended. She failed out of her last semester of school because she was doing music.
4. Nobody in SZA’s family sang before her. She was the first person to try to make it in the music industry.
5. SZA was working at Sephora and bartending before she got signed to TDE.
6. SZA confirms that her hair is real, but she doesn’t let Charlamagne touch it.
7. SZA says that she kinda has a boyfriend.