Last Night (Feb. 24) during the Bond tribute, many people finally saw the timeless face behind the “Goldfinger” song. Shirley Bassey is a legend in the UK, but many don’t know the full story behind the voice. Did we mention that the 76-year-old Welsh received a standing ovation after her performance?
So after you finish lowering your head in shame, here are 9 things you should know about Bassey before her next performance.
1. Bassey’s “Goldfinger” was the first song on a James Bond series to have lead vocals.
2. She is the only singer to have sung three songs for a James Bond film, including “Diamonds Are Forever,” which Kanye West later sampled.
3. Her first time at the Oscars was last night (Feb. 24).
4. She’s Nigerian, Welsh and English.
5. She made her American debut on the Ed Sullivan Show.
6. At the age of 76, she still goes to the gym everyday to maintain her shape.
7. She is one of the most successful female British artists of all time.
8. Her first known hit was the “Banana Boat Song” which was also sung by Harry Belafonte.
9. She lent her voice for There’s Something About Mary soundtrack.
Photo Credit: Painfroi