The new craze for celebrities—especially reality stars—is to launch their own cosmetics line. Kim Kardashian did it, Snooki is with it, Lily Ghalichi is all over it, and even Erica Mena is about that life. And Mob Wives star Drita D’Avanzo is no different—or is she?
We see Drita beating faces on TV all the time, but watching her in action is even more exciting. I sat down with her as she beat the faces of her fans with her new makeup collection, Just Me Cosmetics, and learned a thing or two about entrepreneurship and eyeshadow. —April Dawn Ricchuito
Photo Credit: realityaired.com
“There’s a difference between cheating and being a cheater,” she says. “I’ve forgiven him for it, so I can’t keep bringing it up. That door is closed.” Through Drita’s trials and tribulations with her husband, she grew to love herself. These challenges, and her two daughters, inspired her cosmetics line. “I did this on my own,” she says. “There was a time when I was a single mom and I had nothing. Love comes and goes, but you build a career yourself. I want everyone to know they can do this too, and that’s why I called my line Just Me,” says the makeup artist and supermom.
In keeping with her ‘just me’ theme, Drita is active in every step of the process: from choosing ingredients down to customer service. She’s even the store manager. Best of all, the products are inspired by her favorite high-end products like Armani and Chanel, but at affordable prices. Chanel’s automatic eyeliner is $30, while Drita’s is $16. “I wanted all my favorite makeup must haves in one line.”
Drita’s line boasts a wide variety of products, from skin care and foundations to lip care to bright colors. “I find that most women are afraid of color—or they want too much,” she laughs. “But I’ve got something for everyone!”
- To have great makeup, you’ve got to have great skin. Moisturize and use a primer. Don’t be afraid to change your foundation to suit your skin’s needs. In the winter, if you’re a little bit dryer, use a creamier foundation. In the summer, when you tend to be a little bit more oily and shiny, use a powder or a matte liquid foundation.
- Don’t cake on the foundation! Start in the T-Zone and blend out. Use it sparingly.
- False lashes are a great way to open up your eyes.
- Use blush on the apples of the cheeks where you smile, for a light wash of color.
- When you’re wearing red lipstick, keep your eyes very natural. False lashes and a bit of concealer on your eyelid is all you need!
- If you’re rocking a smokey eye, keep your lips light.