The video for Frank Ocean’s “Pyramids” seemed to come out of thin air. Right after his SNL performance, Ocean released the video via Tumblr, tweeting “pyramids. nsfw. but you don’t have a job anyway.”
There wasn’t an announcement of a video being made in the first place we couldn’t anticipate what visual was to come. When we first listened to “Pyramids” on Channel Orange we had our own ideas of what the video should look like. Never ceasing to amaze the public, Ocean has forced us to expect the unexpected. Here are five things we didn’t expect from the video.–Jasmine Aspinall and Stacy-Ann Ellis
1. Shooting the bottles: We’re not quite sure why he pulled out a gun and shot at the liquor bottles. Where was the bartender? The police?
2. His personification of “Cleopatra”: We expected to see one Cleopatra, who we thought was a regal girl gone astray. Yet we’re presented with a room full of T&A and a disengaged Ocean. What role is “Cleopatra” supposed to fill?
3. The morphing faces: This wasn’t your typical strip club. Through Ocean’s drunken eyes, we saw a plethora of beautiful bodied women with faces that seemed to grossly warp the longer you looked at them. Is this a reflection of what he sees in them?
4. Manic laughing: Instead of a man’s usual strip club behavior of slapping cheeks and making it rain, Ocean spent his night laughing incredulously as the scene unfolded around him. Frank may have lost it.
5. Skipping the first half of the song: What’s up with that Frankie?
1) No headband?
2) John Mayer’s guitar solo.
3) Channel Orange cameo snippets of “Start,” “Pink Matter,” “Lost” and “End.”