When Notorious B.I.G uttered “all the ladies in the place with style and grace” in the first verse of “Big Poppa,” Scandal’s Olivia Pope is the epitome of the woman he was vying for. It’s no secret how much we covet the countless style moments Kerry Washington’s character, courtesy of costume designer Lyn Paolo, has showcased in the office at Pope & Associates and during grand celebrations at The White House. Subtle, refined and elegance come to mind when envisioning Olivia’s sense of style. She’s proof that simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
From Jean Fares couture gowns and Michael Kors sequin clutches to her signature saffiano leather Prada purse and a Movado timekeeper, these are just a few hints why we’re dying to shop her wardrobe. In the name of all things fashionable, here’s our guide to channeling Olivia Pope’s style at the office and during swank celebrations.–Kamille Cooper
Photo Credit: ABC, Shopstyle
The Statement Blazer
In a wardrobe color palette consisting of light hues, pastels and greys, Olivia wears blazers well. Her military-inspired looks, particularly the classy Armani blazer, enforce a sense of power in a male-dominated world. A statement blazer is the perfect match for a pencil skirt or structured trousers at the office.
1. Armani Collezioni Fitted Blazer, $495
2. Ralph Lauren Blazer, $321
3. Donna Karan Military Blazer, $1,342
4. Topshop Structured Blazer, $70
5. Morena Tailored Blazer with Binding, $34
6. Topshop Ponte Jet Pocket Blazer, $70
The Structured Trouser
Pairing the blazer with a pair of trousers is a major must for the chic. Trousers are professional, simple and easy to style with vibrant or pastel toned separates. They may seem masculine, but rocking them with a well-designed blouse that enhances the waistline and physique adds for a perfectly feminine finish.
1. Michael Kors Stretch Wool Skinny-Pants, $348
2. Tibi Wool Skinny Pants, $140
3. Burberry Prorsum Stretch-Crepe Tapered Pants, $440
4. Sierra Trading Post Single Back Pocket Pants, $15
5. Lanvin Crepe Straight-Leg Pants, $498
6. Michael Kors Stretch Wool-Twill Pants, $279
The Show Stopper
Before our minds and social networks were in over-drive with questions of #WhoShotFitz, our eyes were dead set on Olivia’s show-stopping Jean Fares Couture gown that she donned so effortlessly. An ethereal look combined with elegance is the only choice for holiday celebrations or your favorite gladiator gal’s wedding.
1. Veni Infantino Strapless Lace Trumpet Gown, $1,218
2. Alice + Olivia Sophia Maxi Dress, $558
3. Michael Kors Twill Military Dress, $1495
4. Tadashi Shoji Mesh Stripe Jersey Dress, $288
5. BCBG Max Azria Maxine Evening Gown, $448
The Signature Accessory
Every season Olivia sports a gorgeous Prada purse and a Movado watch as her signature it accessory. Last season it was the classic Prada leather tote in wine, this season it’s all about her cameo colored tote. This style lesson teaches us that every ensemble doesn’t call for a new bag. You need one stylish and accessible purse and watch that will be synonymous with your wardrobe picks for the season.
1. Prada Tote, $1,730
2. Movado Bold, $650
3. Michael Kors Rose Gold Mercer Watch, $275
4. Marc by Marc Jacobs Too Hot to Handle Hobo, $438
5. Rachel Zoe Zoe Tote Deux, $347
6. Ri2K Leather Croc Tote, $103
7. Fossil Stella Watch, $125
The Striking Outerwear
Let’s talk comfort—Olivia always aims for shy subtle tones that force her to stand out in a crowd. Whether she’s fixing a political crisis in a Tory Burch trench, or styled in her blush toned Salvatore Ferragamo wool coat when the weather calls for it, she styles out well. The perfect peplum jacket, the closet-necessity trench and the ruffled wool coat are major must haves.
1. Salvatore Ferragamo Cream Pearl Cashmere & Wool Blend Coat, $2,422
2. Tory Burch Blair Trench Coat, $347.50
3. Burberry Brit Double-Breasted Wool Blend Coat, $995
4. Top Shop Ribbed Peplum Jacket, $90
5. Giorgio Armani Vintage Ruffle Neck Jacket, $470
6. 3.1 Phillip Lim Ribbed Motorcycle Jacket, $950
The Savvy Separates
Olivia clearly does her blazers the right amount of justice pairing them up with sexy savvy separates. Although the structured trousers she wears may be masculine, her choice blouse reinforces that she is still very much a lady. But is still as good, if not better, than the boys.
1. All Saints Repose Funnel Pullover, $150
2. Helmut Lang Slack Jersey, $230
3. Helmut Lang Draped Modal-Jersey Top, $185
4. See by Chloé Ruffle Neck Blouse, $241
5. Dorothy Perkins Ivory Victoriana Blouse, $35