Yes, we know our weeks are faithfully dedicated to catching new episodes of Scandal, How To Get Away With Murder, Black-ish, Love & Hip Hop: Hollywood and more, but don’t be tardy for the party when it comes to quality web TV. As cuffing season commences, so does another installment of the highly relatable web series on the rise, “Quarter Century.” We’ve been tuned in since Season 1 of the series, which was set in Washington, D.C. For the second go-around, creator Shayla Raquel and her team have chosen New York as the dramedy’s backdrop.
After viewing a little bit of Season 2 (and loving it), we’ve given it our Vixen Verified seal of approval and think you should tune in as well. Check out this season’s trailer below and flip to find out five reasons why you should be watching “Quarter Century” ASAP.
1. Episodes take place in the cities we all want to flock to. From the beauty nestled in the nation’s capital to the buzzing life of the Big Apple, the cast explores what life is like in two of America’s biggest and busiest cities. So even if you don’t live there, you can live vicariously through the “Quarter Century” cast.
2. That young black professional life gets real. Imagine this: you’ve graduated with honors from your college (or just graduated, heyyy!) and finally stepping out into the working world. From diverse office settings to a new dating scene to trying to get a handle on rent, things can interesting for bustling buppies (look it up) on the scene. “Quarter Series” does a good job of tackling this head on from a variety of stand points. Single, cuffed, gay, straight, jobless, promoted, convinced, confused or whatever, you’re somehow represented in the show’s storyline.
3. HBCU love is in there, heavy. If you pay close attention, a sizable chunk of the plotlines orbit around HBCU alumni. Whether or not the schools are fictional in the series, cast and crew call schools like Howard University, Florida A&M University and more their alma maters.
4. The soundtrack is on point. Instead of focusing on music releases from big names we’re all familiar with, they shine a spotlight on up-and-comers like the Educated Hustlers, Mal Forte, Wavy Weekends and MoneyMakinMartez, all whom are worth a listen.
5. Let’s be real, who hasn’t had a quarter century breakdown? As doomsdays birthdays for 24, 25 and 26 creep on up for many of us, we began to take a look at our lives through a different lens. Wedding invitations start popping up in the mail. Pictures of healthy, smiling, drooling babies appear on our Instagram feeds. Big job promotions are happening left and right. Close friends start to move farther away. And there you stand in the center of it all, a twenty-something year old wondering (maybe even panicking), “What does this all mean for me?”
Convinced? Well binge watch Season 1 right here to catch up, then flip to jump into Season 2.