Vampy lips or bold red pouts are such sexy staples that it’s hard to imagine that nude lips can be just as sexy. When done properly, a nude lip can be the perfect compliment to any outfit and is day-time friendly—a clear advantage over darker lip colors.
Take the guess work out of creating the trendy pout and check out this easy to follow guide to nude lips!
The first step in approaching a nearly naked lip is choosing which color you’d like to use. Pink-ish nudes tend to be brighter and harder to pull off, on the other hand brown-ish nude shades are subtle and more natural looking. If you’re undecided, grab a shade in between the two in a mid-tone pink brown like MAC Créme in Your Coffee.
Next, choose your desired finish. If you want an opaque lip, choose a creamier formula like a cremesheen. For a lighter wash of color, choose a gloss or dab on a satin finish formula.
You can use many products to create a nude lip. If you want to go the traditional route, use a lip pencil and lipstick combination. To save on costs, use your foundation or concealer with a stippling brush to mute out your kisser, then apply a gloss on top. If you’re looking for an all in one product, brush on a lip tar in Interlace by OCC.
1. The first thing you should do is exfoliate your lips. Nude lips will bring out every crack and crevice if you don’t make sure to smooth them out. Rub your lips with a warm washcloth or brush them with a toothbrush.
2. Foundation and concealer will dry your lips out so be sure to apply a thick layer of lip balm and let it soak in before the next steps.
3. Apply your chosen nude color with fingers or a brush. For flawless coverage, dab a damp beauty blender on your lips with your favorite foundation. Finish with gloss for a glamorous pout, or leave your lips matte for an effortless look.
4. Apply color to your face. Make sure to have some color on your face so your new nude lips don’t make you look dead. A pop of pink on the cheek, or a sultry smokey eye is the perfect complement.
5. Highlight your cupids bow with a shimmery shadow or a powder highlight. The highlight will add much needed dimension to your lips and the illusion of a plumper pout.