Montgomery County prosecutors in Norristown, Penn., arrived at this decision, marking this as the first criminal case against the 78-year-old since news of his reported use of drugs and sexual assault on multiple women came to light last year. More than fifty women have shared their stories, including super model Beverly Johnson who recently received a countersuit from Cosby for “defamation of character.”
According to People, an arrest warrant has also been issued for Cosby in this sexual assault case, which involved a former Temple University employee, Andrea Constand, in 2004. The educator said Cosby drugged and sexually assaulted her at his house in Elkins Park, Penn.
In prior court documents, Cosby revealed that the occurrence with Constand was consensual. But in summer of 2014, Constand disputed that claim and said she was in a relationship at that time.
This news arrives a few weeks after Cosby filed a lawsuit of his own, suing seven women in Massachusetts who also came forward to state that he sexually assaulted them. In an interview with USA Today, Cosby’s lawyer, Monique Pressley, said, “he neither drugged nor sexually assaulted the defendants and that each defendant has maliciously and knowingly published multiple false statements and accusations from Fall 2014 through the current day in an effort to cause damage to Mr. Cosby’s reputation and to extract financial gains.”
A court date for Cosby’s 2004 case is still pending.
Cosby is facing three counts of aggravated indecent assault. Mic reports that if Cosby is convicted he’ll serve up to five years in prison. An arraignment for this case is set for this afternoon.
Here is the docket for the criminal charges against Bill Cosby. pic.twitter.com/fiXRieBuYd
— Nicolás Medina Mora (@MedinaMora) December 30, 2015