The 23-year-old—who signed a five-year $40 million contract with the New England Patriots before getting dropped—was arrested Wednesday morning (June 26) and charged with murder, two counts of possession of a large firearm and one count of carrying a gun without a license. A body, believed to be that of Lloyd, was found one mile from Hernandez’s North Attleborough, Mass. home.
Lloyd, who was said to be dating the sister of Hernandez’s fiancee, was reportedly texting with Hernandez ten hours before his death, said prosecutors. There is said to be footage of the 27-year-old entering Hernandez’s rental car and first-hand accounts from witnesses to support their case.
The New England Patriots released Hernandez from the team several hours after the arrest, releasing the following statement: “A young man was murdered last week and we extend our sympathies to the family and friends who mourn his loss. Words cannot express the disappointment we feel knowing that one of our players was arrested as a result of this investigation. We realize that law enforcement investigations into this matter are ongoing. We support their efforts and respect the process. At this time, we believe this transaction is simply the right thing to do.”
He was also entangled in a separate lawsuit over a February incident where he allegedly shot a man in the eye after leaving a Miami strip club. The case was dropped when the accuser would not cooperate with police.
Hernandez, who reportedly lives with his fiancee and infant, has plead not guilty to all counts. —Nina Marrissa (@NinaMarrissa)
Photo Credit: Getty