Jussie Smollett continues to stand by his alleged hate crime that caused major controversy across entertainment and political spaces.
The former Empire actor spoke out about after he was mentioned on The Shade Room Monday (Sept. 30). He was named by a commentator in relation to a story where a Virginia teen fabricated a story about being bullied about her dreadlocks. Despite the comparison, Smollett made it clear his hate crime was real.
“With all due respect brother, y’all can clown me all you want but my story has actually never changed and I haven’t lied about a thing,” Smollett said. “Y’all can continue to be misinformed, internalized sheep, who believe what actual proven liars feed you or you can read the actual docs. Either way, I’mma be alright. I know me and what happened. You don’t. So carry on. All love.”
Earlier this year, Smollett claimed he was attacked by two white men wearing MAGA hats. It was later revealed two Nigerian-American brothers helped plan the attack with the actor. The Cook County state’s attorney’s office charged Smollett in February with 16 counts of disorderly conduct for staging the crime. Charges were dropped a month later with President Donald Trump slamming Smollett over the incident.
View this post on Instagram
But Smollet isn’t out the woods just yet. Questions still remained around other players in the incident including the special prosecutor hired to look into the state’s attorney’s office in Chicago. It was revealed Tuesday (Oct. 1) that Dan K. Webb donated a $1,000 check for State’s Attorney Kim Foxx campaigned. Webb claimed he didn’t remember donating the money but critics continue to question their working relationship and if it had anything to do with Smollet’s case.
Copy of Dan Webb’s affidavit claiming he was notified of the campaign contribution on 9/24 by Michael Bromwich-an atty who worked for President Obama and represented Christine Blazey Ford. Webb says he does not recall being at the fundraiser where the donation to Foxx was made. pic.twitter.com/kwu2yPzFRV
— raferweigel (@RaferWeigel) September 30, 2019
Smollet filed a $130,000 lawsuit against the city of Chicago in an effort to regain the money used in his case.