Ever since Lifetime aired a six-part series outlining the nearly two-decades of sexual assault and rape allegations that have surrounded R. Kelly, the singer has been embattled with legal woes and alleges his ability to earn a living has been stifled.
Saturday afternoon (April 6) the 52-year-old recorded a short video prior to an event asking the media “to take it easy.”
“I got an event to do tonight in Springfield, Illinois, so I want the media to take it easy on me, man,” Kelly said holding a cigar. “This is how I got to get paid now for right now, so I’ve got to go do this event and it’s a party. So when you see me in the club with drinks in my hand and chillen, please, take it easy. Appreciate y’all. Thanks.”
#RKelly says he’s performing in SPRINGFIELDS (Springfield, IL). He calls out the media, saying this is how he has to make his coins and to lay off a little. @rkelly, we would’ve never known you had a show if you didn’t get on social media; you wanted us to know. @fox32news pic.twitter.com/EKLORqiQGH
— Tia A. Ewing (@TIA_EWING) April 7, 2019
Last month, R. Kelly went to court to ask a Cook County judge for permission to travel to Dubai alleging prior to his arrest, he’d signed a contract to perform three to five shows and was slated to meet the royal family. As a result of the arrest, Kelly surrendered his passport.
However, a short while later the United Arab Emirates government denied any such contract. “Authorities in Dubai have not received any request for a performance by singer R. Kelly nor are there any venues that have been booked,” the statement said.