CNN reports the state department and The Department of Homeland Security suspended plans to execute Trump’s order on Saturday (Feb. 4) per the approval of U.S. District Judge James Robart. Lawsuits brought against Trump by attorney generals Bob Ferguson (Washington state) and Lori Swanson (Minnesota) about Trump’s order helped influence Robart’s ruling. Trump issued the executive order last week, preventing visa holders from seven predominately Muslin countries (Iraq, Syria, Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan and Yemen) from entering the U.S. In a move everyone saw coming, Trump took to Twitter to denounce the move and promised to overturn the government’s decision.
In a move everyone saw coming, Trump took to Twitter to criticize the move and pledged to reverse the government’s decision.
Robert explained the states “met their burden of demonstrating that they face immediate and irreparable injury as a result of the signing and implementation of the Executive Order. ” He also said the order grossly hinders the “education, employment, education and freedom to travel.” The US Customs and Border Protection alerted airlines to reinstate visas and to admit of refugees who have U.S. visas as well. Lawyers are still offering services to those affected by the ban at several airports across the country.
With this being the first legal pushback against the Trump administration, the case could make its way to the Supreme Court. Like Trump previously mentioned, the White House can issue an appeal against the temporary block. A preliminary judgment meeting will also follow in a matter of weeks for the temporary restraining order.
During the press conference on the issue, Ferguson assured that justice would be served to the people. “It’s our president’s duty to honor this ruling and I’ll make sure he does,” Ferguson said. “No one is above the law, not even the president.”