A sequel to Coming to America is “officially moving forward,” three decades after the original film hit theaters. Eddie Murphy confirmed the news in a statement to Entertainment Weekly Friday (Jan. 11).
“After many years of anticipation, I’m thrilled that Coming to America 2 is officially moving forward,” Murphy said.
The 57-year-old comedian went on to reveal that the film has already locked in Craig Brewer, who directed him in the forthcoming film, Dolemite. “We’ve assembled a great team that will be led by Craig Brewer, who just did an amazing job on Dolemite [Is My Name], and I’m looking forward to bringing all these classic and beloved characters back to the big screen.”
The sequel’s plot reportedly involves Prince Akeem leaving Zamunda and returning to America, after getting word that he has a long-lost son and heir to his throne. Black-ish creator Kenya Barris will pen the film’s script.
Although Murphy is reprising his role as Prince Akeem, it’s unclear which other characters will be returning. Ideally, Paramount Studios would like many of the original stars to return including, James Earl Jones, Arsenio Hall, John Amos and Shari Headley.
Vanessa Bell Colloway, who played Prince Akeem’s arranged wife, Princess Imani Izzi, said last year that she would be interested in returning for the sequel. “I haven’t been contacted,” Calloway told ABC News radio. “I hope so. If not, I’m going to be on Kenya Barris’ door and Eddie Murphy’s porch screaming and hollering. You might see me on the 11 o’clock news, because if I hurt one of them, because if I’m not in it, I’m going to feel some kind of way.”
Coming To America, which debuted in theaters in 1988, made nearly $300 million worldwide.