For a little over 10 minutes on Nov. 3, Donald Trump’s personal Twitter account was scrubbed from the social media website. Users were split between those who were elated by the news and others who didn’t see the joy in the incident. Now, the former Twitter employee responsible for briefly stripping Trump of his now 280-characters speaks out for the first time.
Bahtiyar Duysak, who previously worked in Twitter’s department responsible for reviewing flagged accounts, said an unidentified person marked Trump’s profile, and Duysak started the process of deleting his account as he normally would any other problematic profile.
In a statement issued to CNN, the 28-year-old said he didn’t know he even had the clearance to delete Trump’s account and said it was just a mistake. “It’s not like I was looking for something or planning to do it,” he said. “It was in front of me, and I didn’t do a good job, and I didn’t double-check things.”
CNN’s Senior Technology Correspondent, Laurie Segall, added that despite rumors that Duysak planned to end his last day with Twitter by doing something many have previously called for, he actually isn’t opposed to Trump’s character and thinks “he’s charismatic, a good leader, but he thinks he needs to learn a little bit as a politician.” Duysak also sat down for an interview with TechCrunch where he elaborated on the incident.