A New York City EMT has been suspended without pay for helping a choking 7-year-old girl at a public elementary school, instead of being dispatched to the scene, according to reports.
Qwasi Reid who works for Assist Ambulance and his partner were transporting a nursing home patient to the hospital on October 21. While stopped at a red light, a man approached the vehicle telling Reid a child was choking.
Reid said his partner told the frantic man they had a patient in the van and due to policy could not respond to the scene without having been dispatched. But Reid, who has worked with the EMT for four years, threw protocol to the wind and performed first aid on the girl who at that point had begun turning blue.
Unfortunately, despite Reid’s heroic efforts, 7-year-old Noelia Echavarria, a second-grader at Brooklyn’s P.S. 250, was declared brain dead.
“I don’t regret it,” Reid said. “I’d do it again. If I know there’s a child choking, I’m going to do my best to help her.”