9 Things We Learned From Nicki Minaj's 'My Time Again' Documentary
January 17, 2015 - 10:07 pm
1. Viacom C-blocked snakes from Nicki’s 2014 VMA performance
Unless you read the many reports that surfaced last August about one of Nicki’s backup dancers getting bit by a snake during the rehearsals for the rapper’s “Anaconda” performance at the VMA’s, you probably wouldn’t have known that slithery creatures were a part of the ensemble. Viacom prohibited MTV from using the pythons at the performance because they wouldn't play nice together or with the dancers.
2. What really caused Nicki’s wardrobe malfunction during Jessie J’s set at the 2014 VMAs Nicki was very hands-on with her wardrobe blunder during the 2014 VMAs.
“I felt my top unloosen in the back but apparently they didn’t take my wires and packs off of it,” Nicki explained. “I only have 40 seconds to change. It was just my team holding black sheets around me. I can’t see; they can’t see me. No one can hear because we’re in the midst of the fans. “
She continued, “I just kept holding on to a little bit of hope that the zipper was going up, but I knew that I if I stayed one more second, I would’ve missed my cue."
3. Beyoncé was impressed with how Nicki handled the wardrobe dilemma Nicki handled that unfortunate situation (see previous slide) at the VMAs with such composure that even Queen Bey gave the rapstress major props. Nicki reveals that Beyonce told her, “As an entertainer, I gained so much more respect for you from the way you handled that.”
4. Nicki shot a video for a mixtape at her favorite nail salon in Queens Onika goes back to her roots in Southside Jamaica, Queens. There, she visits Poly Nails, a nail salon she's been visiting for ten years. After a clip of Nicki getting her nails done alongside Tyesha, one of her best friends, she says back in the day, the salon's owner Joy let her shoot a video for one of her mixtapes there.
5. Nicki (literally) started from the bottom It's no secret that even the wealthiest of Hollywood were broke pre-fame. Things weren’t always so easy in the Maraj household, either. Nicki takes us back to her old 'hood and shows the house she grew up in. She admits that at times, her family had to live in the basement because they couldn’t afford to live in the main part of their home.
“When we had hard times, my mother had to rent out her house,” she confessed. “And we all four had to move in the basement which was a studio apartment. We just used to… walk by and see another family living beautifully in the main house and we had to walk in the backyard and go downstairs in our basement.“
6. More details of Nicki’s past relationship with Aaron, who was mentioned on “All Things Go" On her trip back to Queens, Nicki pays a special visit to Grandma Candice, the grandma of Nicki’s besties Tyesha and Iesha. There, we see Nicki and the three women play cards, as mama Candice recalls Nicki being a boy-crazed girl and lying about staying at her crib when she was really at Aaron's.
“I remember you did not like me being with Aaron and one night, I went over his house and slept over and you told my mother,” Nicki told Grandma Candice. “I couldn’t believe that you would tell on me grandma.”
“I know. That’s why I did it,” Grandma said.
Nicki later discusses the abortion she had with what would have been her and Aaron's child. "We made a terrible mistake," she said. "We had to pay for it."
She adds, “I understand that some women have children earlier and feel like that’s their destiny but I always feel like my destiny was to be accomplished in my career first and then have children.”
7. Nicki details that time her father burned their house down
Nicki takes MTV to the house her father burned down and recalls how her and her brother were staying at a neighbor’s house the night it happened.
“I just remember running, racing down and when I got here, I just saw a big commotion,” she said. “I was so scared… I just looked and my house was gone.”
8. She gives more details on her relationship with her ex-boyfriend Scaff Beezy
Nicki mentions that SB actually proposed to her but that she wasn’t ready to accept the marriage proposal just yet: “I kept telling him, ‘Let's hold off.’“
9. Nicki's four-year plan
Within the next four years, Nicki wants to become a mother after getting married.
“I feel like there’s a housewife somewhere inside of here, as ironic as that may sound,” she said. “I’m a little cute housewife walking around cooking and cleaning; taking care of my baby… just loving my baby and making my husband happy.”
She also hopes to make her sixth album based on a mother’s perspective.
Nicki Minaj's My Time Again documentary airs on MTV on Sunday, Jan. 18 at 10pm ET.